locked
CRM 4.0 Plugin error - not IE related RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have a single user who is having an issue opening up records and dialogue boxes in the CRM plugin through Outlook 2007. If we go through IE itself, it works with no issues.

    The error displays as "Error on Page" on the bottom left side of the screen in Outlook.

    Currently I have tried:

    1) Resetingt the CRM configuration to no avail.

    2) Uninstalled CRM Plugin, rebooted, re-installed, with same result

    3) Tried logging in through a different computer with same credentials and i do not get the error - so it is definitely machine specific.

    4) No error messages in the Event Log for both the PC itself and the host server.

    5) Desperate enough to disable all Add-ins, one by one as well as our AntiVirus, with the same result.

    6) Installed latest Rollup 21 (CRM 4.0) with the same result.

    I've run out of ideas on  what could specifically be causing this error - Any suggestions?


    • Edited by MattFSI Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:57 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:55 PM

Answers

  • So, quite ironically, this error was TOTALLY ie related.

    That user had been able to update their ie itself to version 11. the CRM 4.0 plugin definitely does not support ie 11. 

    I'm quite disappointed in myself for this one.

    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:45 PM

All replies

  • I would completely remove Office and reinstall. Make sure it's fully patched, as well.

    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Tried removing and reinstalling, getting the same error. I turned on Tracing at the client level and have this error:

    [2013-11-19 10:35:13.0] Process:OUTLOOK |Organization:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Thread:    7 |Category: Exception |User: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 |Level: Error | CrmException..ctor
    at CrmException..ctor(String message, Int32 errorCode)
    at ResourceForOutlook.Microsoft.Crm.Application.SMWrappers.IResourceForOutlook.GetString(Int32 id)
    at ThreadProc.Invoke(IntPtr parameter)
    at ThreadsSupport.ExecuteThreadProc(ThreadProc threadProc, IntPtr parameter)
    >Crm Exception: Message: Resource not found(301)., ErrorCode: -2147220989

    I'm not quite sure how to tell what resource is missing - after some search, i haven't been able to find anything more specific.

    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Do you have any VC++ redistributables, or SQL Express or SQL Compact installs on that computer?  I'd uninstall all of them, clear their program folders, then blow away Outlook and the CRM Plugin as well, and delete their Program folders.

    Do a clean boot, and then just install Office and the CRM client.  That looks an awful lot like a package version mismatch for something like VC++.


    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:39 PM
  • So, quite ironically, this error was TOTALLY ie related.

    That user had been able to update their ie itself to version 11. the CRM 4.0 plugin definitely does not support ie 11. 

    I'm quite disappointed in myself for this one.

    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:45 PM