ICE limits vertical angle of view in horizontal cylinder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an issue using ICE for a particular panorama - the images were shot either with a full frame camera and a 12 mm rectlilinear lens (Sigma EX 12-24 mkI) or a 1.6x cropper and an 11 mm lens. In both cases the lens were pointed around 45° upwards to include the top of the building and images were shot to cover 360° around. I tried to stitch these images both in both ICE 1.4.4.0 (which I prefer) and 2.0.3 (both 64 bit versions), but in both cases the ICE limits the vertical AOV to 89.7° of the stitch so that the top of the building is cropped of. If using the "Horizontal Sphere" projection ICE utilizes 97° vAOV, but I want to use the "horizontal cylinder" projection

I do not suppose this can be corrected in a revision of the 1.x version of the software, but perhaps 2.x then :-)

Below a screenshot of ICE stitching the images

And below a reduced version of the image including the tower, that get cropped at the top

Rgds/Kjeld Olesen

• Edited by KjeldOlesen Saturday, July 25, 2015 9:08 AM
    Sunday, July 19, 2015 3:10 PM

All replies

• Hi

While waiting for a fix, I have experimented a little with ICE to see what causes the problem. As can be seen at the screenshots below where I just utilize 3 of the images, ICE starts to crop the top as the horizontal cylinder projection is rotated to make the vertical lines "vertical" - as a result the hAOV goes from 94° to 89°

Rgds/Kjeld

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 5:45 PM
  • Hi

I am still hoping for a comment from Microsoft - is there a way to prevent this cropping, or will the issue be dealt with in upcoming versions?

Meanwhile I made a function in my own software (RectFish) to stretch the ICE 2.0.3 Mercator panorama into a square image.

Rgds/Kjeld

• Edited by KjeldOlesen Thursday, March 10, 2016 7:02 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Unfortunately Matt Uyttendaele and Eric Stollnitz who used to work on ICE at Microsoft Research have moved on to Facebook Research and Adobe Research respectively around November of 2015, so I doubt that Microsoft will be giving you the feedback you'd hoped for or (for that matter) adjusting how ICE works in response to your feedback. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings (and if there's still someone at Microsoft who is working on ICE, please let me know so I stop posting messages like the above) but I thought you deserved to know what little I know about the situation.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 5:18 AM
  • Hi NateLawrence

Thanks for sharing your info - even if it seems not to be good info.

Rgds/K

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 7:06 PM