Modifying txtsetup.sif etc to prevent included nvstor.sys installing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm one of the unfortunates trying to install WHS on an HP Proliant ML115 which shipped with a 250 gig HD that is not compatible with the NVSTOR.sys ATA SATA RAID drivers that comes with WHS (latest trial download from MS).

The problem is that shortly after wasting an hour formatting the disk, I get a BSOD complaining and IRQ not equal issue with NVSTOR.sys.

Now I'm not sure if I'm just missing an opportunity to press F6, but when I try to reboot then it just goes right back to the start of installation (i.e. wants to format again etc) so I suspect not?

To get around this, I have been trying to use nlite to slipstream on what should be working drivers. This still doesn't solve the problem though so I think the drivers included with WHS are still taking precedence.

When trying to install standard WHS it does detect the hard disk and think it has a driver for it. It seems to me that this driver is bad so I need to remove it from my WHS. Can someone tell me where they are located in the installation files. I can't find nvstor.* in drivers.cab and nor can I find any reference to it in the .in_ files in the i386 directory. What entries should I be looking for to remove them? I do have an understanding of how to modify the server2003 files to remove drivers, it is simply a matter of being unable to locate them at the moment so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have read that I can install to a different hard disk but I want to use the one that came with the server for the OS files and my other drives purely for storage.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:36 AM

Answers

• NVStor.sys is a driver originating at NVidia.
    Google gives a lot of hits regarding this driver in context with bluescreens - these often happened in context with faulty hardware (disk or memory). You could also check, if the cable is OK and connected to the first controller port, and if you have the option, change the SATA controller mode in Bios to IDE/ATA/PATA compatible mode to avoid the usage of SATA drivers at all (which are not part of the standard WHS installation and must be provided via USB key in first step of setup and sometimes via Floppy again during the bluescreen mode setup).
    If the controller is enabled for RAID, this should be changed definitively.

The drivers are usually copied to the disk to the path C:\Windows\system32\drivers during the first part of installation.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:07 PM