What do I do now? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a Compaq/HP laptop 4 months ago for a specific task which I have completed and no longer needed the laptop. I have therefore passed it on to an elderly relative to use to keep in touch with her children abroad. She has been using it without any major issues for a few weeks but this afternoon it came up with an "Invalid product key" message with no prior warning. This is despite the fact that the system was installed using the key as printed on the genuine COA sticker fitted to the laptop by the manufacturer and set to authenticate after installation.

I have two questions. 1) Does anybody know why this system should do this when as far as I am aware the system is completely legal. It would appear to be most prevalent with laptops but is affecting more than one manufacturer.

2) How on earth am I supposed to get a 78 year old lady who has very little knowledge of the technicalities of IT and lives over 60 miles away to run the diagnostics tool and submit the results for analysis

I have absolutely no issues with Microsoft implimenting technology which reduces or even prevents piracy, this is their right even if the profits posted by them seem a bit extortionate. However when it even prevents the legitimate use of software properly sourced and paid for and makes an elderly lady worried that she might be doing something illegal then there is something wrong

Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:35 PM

Answers

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:21 AM
  • Hi Link,

1) Is your relative able to complete the steps that Carey provided? and If so, did it resolve the issue?

2) Where did you purchase the Laptop? Specificly, was it from a reputable dealer?

3) Where their any Hardware Changes done to the computer? (new Hard Drive, Motherboard repaired/replaced, so on).

4) Would your relative be able to follow the below steps, and if so, would you post the Diagnostic Report here.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button, then Paste (press the "ctrl" and "v" keys at the same time) the report into a response message in this thread.

5) If all else fails, have your relative create a (no cost) Service Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and post the Confirmation Number here in this thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:47 PM

All replies

• You can reset your Windows Vista activation by performing the following:

1. Click on the Start button and in the Start Search box type in:  slui.exe 4

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.

3. Select your Country.

4. Follow the instructions for phone activation.

5.  Once completed, restart your computer.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:21 AM
  • Hi Link,

1) Is your relative able to complete the steps that Carey provided? and If so, did it resolve the issue?

2) Where did you purchase the Laptop? Specificly, was it from a reputable dealer?

3) Where their any Hardware Changes done to the computer? (new Hard Drive, Motherboard repaired/replaced, so on).

4) Would your relative be able to follow the below steps, and if so, would you post the Diagnostic Report here.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button, then Paste (press the "ctrl" and "v" keys at the same time) the report into a response message in this thread.

5) If all else fails, have your relative create a (no cost) Service Request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 and post the Confirmation Number here in this thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 27, 2008 5:47 PM