Asking for activation after Motherboard upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• I've just upgraded my motherboard from a Dell to an ASUS and I'm being asked to activate. I've got no network connectivity, so tried the telephone system but that says I've got a pirated copy and I get no option to speak to a real person.

I understand that as this an upgrade to the hardware that I need to re-license. What do I do? I can't see anywhere to buy a genuine version of Windows XP. Do I buy Windows 7 license? Would this allow me to activate the Windows XP license?

I can't get in on safe mode, as the PC blue screens on me, I still have a number of drivers to load. So, I'm completely stuck.

Advice appreciated please.
    • Edited by Hants_Red Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:05 PM typos
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 11:18 AM

Answers

• It appears your copy of Windows XP originally came preinstalled on a Dell computer, is that correct?  If so, the Dell OEM Windows XP license can only be activated with a Dell motherboard.  In order to correct this issue, you'll need to purchase a new copy of Windows XPand perform a "clean install".  Better yet, purchase a copy of Windows 7 and perform a clean install.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:52 PM

All replies

• It appears your copy of Windows XP originally came preinstalled on a Dell computer, is that correct?  If so, the Dell OEM Windows XP license can only be activated with a Dell motherboard.  In order to correct this issue, you'll need to purchase a new copy of Windows XPand perform a "clean install".  Better yet, purchase a copy of Windows 7 and perform a clean install.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 2:52 PM
  • It was an original OEM install. Have purchased Windows 7, and a new hard disk to do a clean install. This has been more of an expensive exercise that intended!
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 7:54 AM