replace smaller system drive with larger one / new one RRS feed

• Question

• I need to replace a dieing hard drive.  I thought in the process I would also try and replace the system drive which is also old (5-6 years) and small.  I realized i have a sata controller for 2 of the drives I currently have.  I had to install drivers into the OS in order for the card to work.  I do not have room to pull off all the data on those drives in order to install the OS again and  rebuild the tome stones that way.  How do install a new system disk and not loose the data on those sata drives connected to the pci based sata card?  Is there cloning software that would do it?  Thank you for any help you can give in this matter.

I searched google and the forums and I could not find an answer

PS Does WHS ask for sci drivers during reinstall?
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 3:19 AM

Answers

• Add the USB connected drive to the console as backup drive.
    On the Computers & Backup tab click your server and select Backup now.
    Choose all shares you wish to backup and let the backup complete.
    Disconnect the disk by removing it from Server Storage tab temporary.
    Then physically disconnect it.

Later on the new installation (after applying all upgrades to WHS) add it again as backup drive without formatting and restore the backup.

If you have enough space, you can use the Add-In WHS Backup Database Backup to store the backup database also on that drive.

(And cross your fingers that that backup disk will not fail before restore has been completed.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    you will not be asked for drivers, if you not explicitely provide them. (Especially in the second stage of setup, if you have to press F6 and provide storage drivers on a floppy drive.) In worst case the disks will not be found and the server installation/reinstallation fail.
    With some luck (which is very driver specific, best choice is IDE mode for SATA controller) you can perform a server reinstall, if you swap the system disk against a new one. (But never try to swap another disk in the same time!)
    If this does not work for you, connect only the new system drive, perform a clean install of Windows Home Server, patch it up and then migrate the data from the other disks as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure before readding them to the storage pool.

Olaf

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:03 AM
  • Thank you for your quick response.  Alright then I will move the one bad drive out of the pool. I will buy a 1.5 t instead of the 1T i was going to so both will fit on the new drive. (both are 500GB on the PCI Sata controller) Then move the larger 1.5T into it's slot on the main board and move it to the pool. Then I will move one drive out of the at a time.  At that point there will be no drives on the controller.  At which point I will remove the main drive and replace it with one of the 500gb drives from the controller.  Then I will use the reinstall of server option. Will this take a couple of day's for it to redo the tomestones like i read?  Looks like I have at least 5 day's of work ahead of me. ehhhh

Does sound Correct to you?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Sounds ok. Other way would be to perform a backup of the shares and restore the backup later after a fresh install (if the content of the shared folder would fit to one drive, which is not part of the storage pool and gets disconnected physically before the server installation is starting).
    Client Backups would have to be redone.
    If your server is very old or the disks have been very full, there may be some data on the D: drive (the data volume of the system disk). This you will be able to recover with the method described in the FAQ mentioned earlier in this thread, if you have not performed a backup of the server via console before.
    You can also speed up by removing duplication from the shared folders - but that makes them sensitive for disk failure, if one drive fails during the reinstall.
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:53 PM
  • I did not even think to take the new drive and connect it to the system VIA USB and to put everything on it.  Then do a fresh install and add the drives to the pool and put the backup from the usb back on.  Thanks that will save me alot of time of not having to rebuild the tomestones.  I only have 1.3T of data on the system with duplication.  So it will all fit on the new larger drive.

Thank you very much =)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Add the USB connected drive to the console as backup drive.
    On the Computers & Backup tab click your server and select Backup now.
    Choose all shares you wish to backup and let the backup complete.
    Disconnect the disk by removing it from Server Storage tab temporary.
    Then physically disconnect it.

Later on the new installation (after applying all upgrades to WHS) add it again as backup drive without formatting and restore the backup.

If you have enough space, you can use the Add-In WHS Backup Database Backup to store the backup database also on that drive.

(And cross your fingers that that backup disk will not fail before restore has been completed.)

Olaf
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:29 AM
  • Well I have finished reinstalling the server.  The only problem I had was when I used the WHS Backup Database backup it installed the registry entries for my old main drive and hosed all the shares up.  Lesson learned.  Otherwise everything went well.  I still had all the shares on the new 1.5T drive that I hooked up as a usb backup.  So no lost data other then the backups.  Which really is not a problem due to them both being new installs of Windows 7 x64.  I will just recreate the backups.  Thank you for all your help.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 10:45 PM