System Restore RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in subscribing to 'Onecare' but I am slightly worried about the fact that I am currently using Symantec products for  system restore facilities as for some reason Microsoft System restore is not present on my PC. Will OneCare provide me with a safe alternative for system failures and would it be useful and/or possible to also run 'Kaspersky Antivirus for virus protection should I opt for 'One Care'

DD

Sunday, April 6, 2008 5:45 PM

Answers

• You don't state which Symantec product or products you have installed but it is possible there will be some conflicts with One Care. In my opinion it is better to fix a problem with the operating system rather than replace it with a third party application. See this article to troubleshoot System Restore problems - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796

In the event of a system failure One Care can restore your critical data files but it cannot restore system files or program files. If you do install One Care you cannot use Kaspersky or any other antivirus product. It is not advisable to use more than one antivirus program.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 9:44 PM

All replies

• You don't state which Symantec product or products you have installed but it is possible there will be some conflicts with One Care. In my opinion it is better to fix a problem with the operating system rather than replace it with a third party application. See this article to troubleshoot System Restore problems - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302796

In the event of a system failure One Care can restore your critical data files but it cannot restore system files or program files. If you do install One Care you cannot use Kaspersky or any other antivirus product. It is not advisable to use more than one antivirus program.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Thank you Jim for the prompt response. Your answer clarifies things greatly for me and I am grateful. There has been a long saga about the missing 'System Restore' which I won't bore you and others about here.Thanks again

DD

Monday, April 7, 2008 11:58 AM