none
What is the best version of Excel to run on HPC compute nodes

Question

• Hello. I was hoping someone in this forum will be able to shed some light on couple of basic issues I am facing. I wanted to understand what would be the best way to use Excel on an AWS-based HPC cluster with Office 365 ProPlus installed. However, when I launch more nodes, I get exceptions because Excel is not activated on the newly launched nodes. As a consequence, I need to RDP into each of those nodes and then key in my email address and password for Excel to be activated on them. Obviously this is not conducive in a production environment.

I think I can broadly summarize the issues as follows:

1. Is there a way to achieve automatic activation on each compute node for my current Office 365 ProPlus subscription?

2. If not, then what is the best Excel product that can be used? I understand that a volume based product could be the right answer, but as far as my understanding goes, the computer name on AWS keeps changing and Excel would not get activated beyond a certain point, even if I purchase hundreds of licenses. For example, I am going to stop all instances in a cluster once a job is done and start them again when I need it next. It is possible that all compute nodes might have different names then.

My HPC usage is limited and I only need to access the cluster in short bursts and a computation jobs probably lasts 30-40 mins a day.

Thursday, February 04, 2016 6:09 PM

All replies

• HI, we don't have experience to offload excel workload on AWS. But we have a workable solution based on azure, you can check this: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-excel-cluster-hpcpack/

Friday, February 05, 2016 1:58 AM