MS CRM 4.0 Change of IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

We have a need to change the IP Adreess of our MS CRM Server. Our Application Server, DB Server, Email Router are sitting on three different machines and we would like to only change the IP address of Application server where crm is installed. I tried to find the dependencies on the IP address and got ended with none. Even I don't find any IPAddress on the registry entry.

Seems fine till here. But, when I was googling through some posts, I found that some of them were facing issues with outlook client access to crm after changing the IP Address. As per that, we need to reinstall the ms crm outlook client to get access after the change. Is this true?

So just want to make sure if there are any dependencies of IP Address and will there be any impact on the outlook client access or any other issues I might come across?

Thanks in advance..

- Dinesh

Perfectionist

Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Perfectionist,

The IP address normally is not an issue, however I would double check this. The CRM Outlook clients, set up registry keys based on CRM database settings, if these settings point at an IP address then you will have issues and you will need to change the IP address on the database and re-configure Outlook clients, check the following keys on the database:

1. Open the MSCRM_CONFIG database open the DeploymentProperties table
    2. check the following keys
    • ADSdkRootDomain
    • ADWebApplicationRootDomain

If these keys hold the SERVER names or your DNS name then you are okay, if these keys hold an IP address you will have issues. I haven't seen before these keys getting populated with server IP addresses, normally it gets populated with the SERVER Names by default, but is good to double check.

Important: You need to make sure when you change the IP address you clear the DNS cache from the DNS server and from the clients, as it will try to contact the cached IP address.

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Perfectionist Friday, March 16, 2012 1:05 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:02 PM
    Answerer