File Conflict - Program Files That Are Always Open RRS feed

• Question

• I've been receiving file conflict errors on two files that are related to two applications that I have running whenever the WHS is running.

One is for my contact management system and the other is for the fax server.

Is there anything I can do resolve these conflicts?

Should I just ignore them?  And if so is there anything I can do to ignore them so I don't have the yellow notification constantly?

Thanks.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 5:40 PM

All replies

• svAndiamo said:

I've been receiving file conflict errors on two files that are related to two applications that I have running whenever the WHS is running.

One is for my contact management system and the other is for the fax server.

Is there anything I can do resolve these conflicts?

Should I just ignore them?  And if so is there anything I can do to ignore them so I don't have the yellow notification constantly?

Thanks.

Hi,

It appears that either one or both of these applications are keeping files open which is causing problems for DE, not allowing duplication and thus causing conflicts:

Files that remain open for more than 24 hours are reported with a conflict of “File is open” as the Drive Extender migrator process needs files to be closed to allow duplication to occur for each file. If a file is kept open "forever" than the Drive Extender migrator process will not be able to make a 2nd copy of the file on a 2nd hard drive. Some 3rd party applications may need to be changed to deal with the situation where they are maintaining an exclusive lock on an open file, such that Drive Extender migrator process cannot access the file.
    If either of these is certified for Windows Home Server, please file a bug. Also, you might try shutting down these applications and allowing duplication to occur. If after the applications have not been running, duplication has occured and conflicts are still noted, then please file a bug.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Monday, November 17, 2008 6:21 PM
  • Hi,

The only option you would have, is to use another drive in the server which isn't part of the storage pool and has it's own drive letter to store any working files you are using.
    WHS lists all files that are open after 24 hours because of affect they have on migration, (it can't be done).  It isn't possible to permanently turn off the notifications, but you can choose to 'Ignore this Error' in the Network section of the Console.
    In the long run, you could also post a suggestion on Connect, the WHS Team do take note of the posts, especially if it's well researched and with support from other users.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 6:27 PM