Remote Access Setup/Domain Name Problems RRS feed

• Question

• ?I followed the 'yellow brick road' to set up Remote Access. Then I was prompted to set up my domain name. I chose the second option (I already have one and want to use that); however, once everything was supposedly working, I was told I could access my domain name, but maybe I should wait awhile while things were set up. So, I closed the window and was prepared to wait.

Under Server Settings>Remote Web Access>Domain name, my URL was there, but the Set up button was highlighted, so I thought maybe I should click on it. Blasted thing made me start all over to once more set up Remote Web Access/Domain Name!

I followed the exact same procedure I had followed before, but this time I was told my Domain name didn't belong to my Live ID. Do what!? After fumbling around awhile longer, I decided to take the first option to set up a new Domain Name. Which I did, but used exactly the same information I'd used the first time I set it up. This time it took!

What I don't understand is why Option 2 worked (which it should have) the first time, but not the second time (told me the Domain Name wasn't mine). Then, using the exact same Domain Name under option 1 (remember, I've been told this Domain Name belongs to someone else) I successfully set my Domain Name up once more.

Wow! Is this a bug or what!?

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret
    Please Don't Text and Drive
    My Grand Kids May be in Your Path

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 9:09 PM

All replies

• I just went back to the Dashboard and clicked on Server settings>Remote Web Access. The Set up button is beside both the Router and the Domain name. This gets more and more confusing as I explore.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Did you file a bug on this? I went to set mine and had a similar issue but I was doing a couple of things at the same time so I could of messed it up.

The first time I did it I was sent to GoDaddy, for what reason I can't remember. I got out of there and started over and when I logged back into my LiveID it did find my domain name and it has been good since.

--
    Don
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:23 PM
  • >Did you file a bug on this? I went to set mine and had a similar issue but I was doing a couple of things at the same time so I >could of messed it up.

Not yet, Don. I was kind of waiting to see if this is a "known" issue.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:48 PM
  • I had zero issues setting up mine.  Maybe you need to set up your router manually?
    D.W.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:50 PM
  • I file everything whether it is known or not. I also file duplicates if it is something that no one is uploading files for MS to look at.

I would just file it, send the appropriate files and go from there.

--
    Don
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 9:51 PM
  • >I had zero issues setting up mine.  Maybe you need to set up your router manually?

I had zero issues also . . . The 'bug' is that if you look at the Domain Name, the Setup button remains. Which leads you to thinking you need to do something else. Same with the Router.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 10:02 PM
  • I guess thats a matter or perception.  Maybe the setup buttons are there in case you want to change router or domain settings. 
    D.W.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 11:34 PM
  • So I am running WHS 2011 beta. I own a few domains. I use DynDNS to point my domains to my home IP. 1st problem. I set up my router port forwarding to my computer running WHS for http and ftp traffic. WHS wouldn't recognize it, said an error in my router (even though prior I used apache on a home computer, worked fine). So I deleted my port forwarding entry, and then re-ran router setup. WHS successfully set up router... how stupid. It was already set up correctly with the right IP in my network. Now, the next problem is it will not recognize my domains. It prompts for me to transfer my domain to Godaddy and another, WHICH I WILL NOT DO. So how the hell do I get WHS to recognize my domain when 1) traffic is correctly pointed to my IP by DynDNS, and the http port is correctly directing traffic to my computer running WHS... I just need WHS to recognize my domain!

Help, please!

Tim
    Monday, February 7, 2011 12:21 AM
  • OK, after hours.... I finally got it working (kindof). Using WHS to automatically set up ports on my router, showed the ports were set up 80, 443 using UnP. Adding domain did not work. I finally turned off my server, turned off UnP on my router, then added to port forwarding (for the IP of my WHS) http port 80, https port 443 and RWW port 4125. My newly registered domain at homeserver then worked. I still couldn't add any of my real domains to WHS, but since they are pointed to my IP, they work too; not how I'd want, but good enough for now.

This issue needs to be resolved. You want this to be EASY for people to set up, not hard.

Tim
    Monday, February 7, 2011 2:13 AM
  • >>OK, after hours.... I finally got it working (kindof). Using WHS to automatically set up ports on my router, showed the ports were set up 80, 443 using UnP. Adding domain did not work. I finally turned off my server, turned off UnP on my router, then added to port forwarding (for the IP of my WHS) http port 80, https port 443 and RWW port 4125. My newly registered domain at homeserver then worked. I still couldn't add any of my real domains to WHS, but since they are pointed to my IP, they work too; not how I'd want, but good enough for now.
    ========

I'm not sure you can add other domains to WHS. Is there a reason you want to do so? Trying to figure this out.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Monday, February 7, 2011 2:51 AM
  • >>I followed the 'yellow brick road' to set up Remote Access. Then I was prompted to set up my domain name. I chose the second option (I already have one and want to use that); however, once everything was supposedly working, I was told I could access my domain name, but maybe I should wait awhile while things were set up. So, I closed the window and was prepared to wait.
    ======

I have filed a bug, and if you have experienced the same, and especially if your 'Set up' button is still there, please let the Team know.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:10 PM
  • "Nancy Ward"  wrote in message news:abedccbf-173e-4eca-81dc-68eadfce6a65@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I followed the 'yellow brick road' to set up Remote Access. Then I was prompted to set up my domain name. I chose the second option (I already have one and want to use that); however, once everything was supposedly working, I was told I could access my domain name, but maybe I should wait awhile while things were set up. So, I closed the window and was prepared to wait.

======

I have filed a bug, and if you have experienced the same, and especially if your 'Set up' button is still there, please let the Team know.

Whoops! Go here to vote:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/642049/domain-name-setup-has-problems

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:12 PM
  • This doesn't really help answering your question... but I also use DynDNS and my router updates my IP for me.  I cannot fathom a reason to bother using anything in Home Server to get the domain listed, unless you want it to try to update the Dynamic DNS with your current IP.  IIS by default is setup to list on the ports on all host headers, so it will answer on any domain you point back at your server, so you simply need to setup the port forwarding on your router, which you touched on.

Thought I would point this out for anyone that is going through this effort for what really ammount to no real benefit (at least if you already have a domain registered and it's all setup and working)?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:24 AM
  • >>This doesn't really help answering your question... but I also use DynDNS and my router updates my IP for me.
    =======

Thanks, Droesch, but the bug isn't actually in the first half of getting the Domain Name setup to work. That works fine. It's more about the fact that the SETUP button is still there after the Domain Name has been set up. The second half of the bug is that clicking on that SETUP button (after my Domain Name has been set up) gives real problems in the second Setup attempt as explained in my original post.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Link to vote was not working.  Anyway I really think it should be eaiser to setup a domain manually.  Although a fair amount of users for WHS will be starting from scratch with everything I would guess about half will be fairly technical and already have a significant router config and real domains etc.  I was able to get the documentation needed for me to setup my routers manually and the software recognizes that once done but I can not for the life of me figure out how to get it to recognize my real domain name.  It all works because I installed the cert manually etc but the fact that the GUI complains at me drives me crazy and who knows I may run into some feature or function that is not working that I just did not try yet.  I also use dyndns so if they worked with that I guess that would help me but there are other providers out there also so I think a way to manually setup a domain name provided the connectivity and cert tests out right is key.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 11:17 PM