WHS Not Backing Up Network Drivers RRS feed

• Question

• Today I was attempting to restore one of my PC's from the WHS but ran into a problem with the network drivers. For some reason the server is not backing up the network drivers for this PC.

The PC being restored is running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and has an onboard Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Adapter.

Browsing the internet I found posts on various forums, including this one, discussing this issue and one suggestion was to copy the network drivers onto the USB stick and see if it overcomes the problem. It was tricky finding the drivers but I eventually found the correct files in the \\Windows\\System32\\DriverStore\\FileRepository directory. I copied the directory (e1y60x64.inf_cd7b6b13) to the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" directory on the USB stick then booted to the Restore CD.

Unfortunately when I clicked on scan, the network adapter wasn't found.

Another post I read suggested the drivers had to go into a directory named DRIVERS on the USB drive otherwise the restore program wouldn't find them. So I tried that as well but it didn't work either.

I know that the network drivers are okay because they are the ones currently being used on the PC.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with 64-bit drivers and the restore program?

Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    the recovery environment is 32 Bit only, therefore it has no use for 64 Bit drivers, which it could extract from the client OS.
    So you can try to download the appropriate Intel drivers for Vista 32 Bit here and extract them to the USB stick.
    If you execute the installer package on a running system, it is enough to get the installer to the initial welcome page (do not go further here and do not close the dialog). At this time you can press the keys Win+R (which brings up the Run dialog), type %temp% and click OK.
    Sort by date - one of the newest folders here should contain the extracted drivers, here under pft8346.tmp\PRO1000\Win32 (the number in the folder name will vary). These you can copy to the USB drive and hopefully get them detected in the recovery environment.

If this fails, you can still go the way described in this FAQ.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    the recovery environment is 32 Bit only, therefore it has no use for 64 Bit drivers, which it could extract from the client OS.
    So you can try to download the appropriate Intel drivers for Vista 32 Bit here and extract them to the USB stick.
    If you execute the installer package on a running system, it is enough to get the installer to the initial welcome page (do not go further here and do not close the dialog). At this time you can press the keys Win+R (which brings up the Run dialog), type %temp% and click OK.
    Sort by date - one of the newest folders here should contain the extracted drivers, here under pft8346.tmp\PRO1000\Win32 (the number in the folder name will vary). These you can copy to the USB drive and hopefully get them detected in the recovery environment.

If this fails, you can still go the way described in this FAQ.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

I did read a few posts about the recovery environment being 32-bit and figured that the 64-bit drivers wouldn't work. That probably explains why the 64-bit drivers do not get backed up.

I had previously extracted the 32-bit drivers from the installation file I used to load the 64-bit drivers and copied them to the USB drive but for some reason they weren't found when I did a scan.

Anyway, I followed your instructions and copied the entire Win32 directory to the USB drive. It worked perfectly!

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
    Keith
    • Marked as answer by Lukendog Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:32 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Lukendog Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:32 AM
    Monday, December 29, 2008 7:33 AM