Open a file type using the command prompt by default RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to set a certain file type to open using a cmd.exe command by default? For example: When I double-click files with the .txt extension I want them to be displayed using the type command in a command prompt window.  

Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is it possible to set a certain file type to open using a cmd.exe command by default? For example: When I double-click files with the .txt extension I want them to be displayed using the type command in a command prompt window.  

May I ask why you want to do this?
    If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:56 PM
  • You may. I had some type of ASCII text file (.nfo) that didn't display so well in notepad but worked great in a command prompt window so I got curious if you could associate a file type with a command like that. I know I can get a dedicated nfo viewer, I actually have one, but that's not really the point.
    Monday, March 22, 2010 12:15 PM
  • So what application produces an .nfo file?
    If you find my response helpful, please click on the "Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you! My Blog
    Monday, March 22, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Monday, March 22, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Still an issue?

You can ask here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Or ask in a Windows IT forum.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:27 PM