Why do I get the following message ten times a day?: "Turn on SmartScreen Filter. One or more users...have turned it off." RRS feed

• Question

• I have OneCare, Norton 360, and Webroot SpySweeper.  As soon as I connect to the Internet to collect my Live Mail, OneCare status changes from Good to Fair and I'm told someone has turned off my SmartScreen Filter.  I'll click on Turn On and it's fine...for a while.  Then I'll click on some other on line site and it happens again.  I'm not changing my settings.  Why does this happen?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:09 PM

Answers

• You need to remove Norton 360 is you are using OneCare and you probably need to remove WebRoot Spysweeper if it is also providing real time protection.
    One or both of these is probably causing your problem with the IE settings.

You should never have more than one security product installed on the PC providing active protection/scanning. This can cause performance issues, system instability, and can hinder the effectiveness of both products at providing protection.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:47 PM