none
Copy folder to a new USB drive without changing time stamp RRS feed

• Question

• I have a data base (Zotero) which contains thousands of small files. Every time I modify it, I use SyncToy to echo it to a backup copy on a USB drive. Before using SyncToy, I just copied the whole thing each time (which had become very time consuming: SyncToy has been extremely helpful).
    I think the USB memory stick must be getting very fragmented, and I would like to copy the whole folder to a new USB stick in any case. Can I do this without changing the time stamps on all the files? Will SyncToy want to recopy all the files all over again? What do you suggest?
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:19 AM

Answers

• Hi -

I think you meant you want to replace the USB drive on the right with a brand new USB drive to which you copied everything from the old one. Use xcopy ( look up the options to keep timestamps intact) and to also copy all hidden files as well ( there is a SyncToy specific file that we create on the right hand side folder). And if the drive letter also remains the same - SyncToy should treat this folder exactly the same. I would test this scenario out first before getting rid of the old USB drive however.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, July 27, 2009 1:24 AM

All replies

• Hi -

I think you meant you want to replace the USB drive on the right with a brand new USB drive to which you copied everything from the old one. Use xcopy ( look up the options to keep timestamps intact) and to also copy all hidden files as well ( there is a SyncToy specific file that we create on the right hand side folder). And if the drive letter also remains the same - SyncToy should treat this folder exactly the same. I would test this scenario out first before getting rid of the old USB drive however.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Monday, July 27, 2009 1:24 AM
  • Thank you for your help.

This is kind of fun: its been a while since I had to play with things like xcopy.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:39 AM