What happens when I add hard drives with data to server? RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS2011 on an old desktop.  Previously on this desktop I had several data drives that contained a large music collection, pictures, and important documents.  These drives were simply data drives and contained no OS.  I overwrote the OS drive with WHS2011. I also added a new empty 3tb drive to the server during installation.

I disconnected these data drives before loading the server software.  I have read several threads regarding loading new drives into the server but what is not clear to me is how to add a drive that already contains data I want backed up and protected.  Will I be given a choice to add my music files, pics, and documents to the empty 3 tb drive before the server adds these drives to the backup pool or will it only allow me to add them after they have been reformatted?  These are the only copies of these files I currently have so I want to make sure they are added to my server before the drives are altered by the server.

I could slave them into another desktop on the network to transfer them to the server if needed.  How should I proceed?

Sunday, January 22, 2012 12:08 PM

Answers

• How do I increase storage on the server?

Published: April 26, 2010

Updated: March 30, 2011

Applies To: Windows Home Server 2011

To increase the storage on the server, you can add an additional internal hard disk to the server. To add the additional internal hard disk, you must first shut down the server, next add the internal hard disk, and then power it back on to restart the server. Next, depending on whether the hard disk to be added is formatted, or unformatted, do one of the following:

• If you had an internal hard disk that is unformatted, it generates the alert- “One or more unformatted hard disks are connected to the server”. Launch the Alert Viewer from the Dashboard, select the alert, and follow the instructions to format the hard disk and use it to store server folders.
    • If the internal hard disk is formatted with NTFS, the server assigns it a drive letter, and the hard disk appears in the Hard Drives tab. You can now either create, or move server folders to the new hard drive. If the formatted hard disk also includes preexisting files, then you can remove any unwanted files using the Drive Clean up utility.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Guyj01 Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:48 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:31 PM