PP1, Windows Update and Connector Procedures RRS feed

• Question

• After Windows Update installs PP1 on my HP WHS next week, what will I need to do to: (1) update the existing connector consoles on two client PCs that run XP Pro and Vista Ultimate 32-bit, respectively; and (2) install a connector console for the first time on a client PC running Vista Ultimate 64-bit? I haven't been able to find a procedure for post-Windows Update connector installation. Thank you very much for your help.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 12:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After the update has taken place, you can install the 64 Connector by rRunning Setup.exe from the home server’s  Software\Home Server Connector Software shared folder.

In all probability, there will be a slightly different version for HP, but thta will not make any difference to instllation.

Colin

Saturday, August 9, 2008 5:43 PM
  •  klshome wrote:
    The Home Server Connector Software folder is located on the HP WHS as you indicated, kariya21. 

I will wait for Windows Update to install PP1 on the HP WHS.

I still have two questions:

1) Will Windows Update also automatically update the console software on the PCs where the existing version is installed?

I doubt it.  I can't speak for the HP models, but on OEM, after I installed PP1, I had to go to each machine and update the software myself.  (However, once I installed the updated Connector software, it now has the option to automatically update the software for future releases.)

klshome wrote:
    2) How do I obtain and install the new version of the console software for the Vista Ultimate 64 PC that currently has no console software installed and has not yet been backed up?

See Colin's response.

klshome wrote:
    Thanks once again for your help.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

•  klshome wrote:
    After Windows Update installs PP1 on my HP WHS next week, what will I need to do to: (1) update the existing connector consoles on two client PCs that run XP Pro and Vista Ultimate 32-bit, respectively; and (2) install a connector console for the first time on a client PC running Vista Ultimate 64-bit? I haven't been able to find a procedure for post-Windows Update connector installation. Thank you very much for your help.

That sounds about right.  Just make sure you have the Home Server Connector Software folder in \\[servername]\Software.

As an alternative, if you don't want to wait, you can download and install it now.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 12:56 PM
  • The Home Server Connector Software folder is located on the HP WHS as you indicated, kariya21. 

1) Will Windows Update also automatically update the console software on the PCs where the existing version is installed?

2) How do I obtain and install the new version of the console software for the Vista Ultimate 64 PC that currently has no console software installed and has not yet been backed up?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Hi,

After the update has taken place, you can install the 64 Connector by rRunning Setup.exe from the home server’s  Software\Home Server Connector Software shared folder.

In all probability, there will be a slightly different version for HP, but thta will not make any difference to instllation.

Colin

Saturday, August 9, 2008 5:43 PM
  •  klshome wrote:
    The Home Server Connector Software folder is located on the HP WHS as you indicated, kariya21. 

I doubt it.  I can't speak for the HP models, but on OEM, after I installed PP1, I had to go to each machine and update the software myself.  (However, once I installed the updated Connector software, it now has the option to automatically update the software for future releases.)

klshome wrote:

See Colin's response.

klshome wrote:

Saturday, August 9, 2008 6:12 PM
  • Thanks to Kariya21 and Colin for the timely and helpful responses.

It sounds like I'll need to go to the Software folder on the HP WHS both to find the software for updating the 32-bit client connectors and also for initiating the 64-bit client connector. Perhaps HP will provide more details.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:44 PM