Shared Folder Access Schedule RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some issues that require me to cut off access to the WHS during specified times. I'd like to narrow it down to specific shares, but I'm fine with controlling when specific accounts can access the system. Is there any way to accomplish this with the existing settings (which I doubt because I've looked) or with an addon (which I'm having trouble searching for since the terms access and schedule tend to bring up links about remote access or calendar sharing)?

Thanks.

-Infoteq

Friday, August 27, 2010 6:14 PM

Answers

• It's not difficult to restrict a user's access by hours, but there's no GUI interface to help you and I don't know of a Windows Home Server add-in for the purpose. You'll need to log in using Remote Desktop to use the net user command line tool to set access hours for their server account (you'll find this command documented on Technet, among other places), and you'll need to make sure that the guest account doesn't have any access to the shares you want to restrict.

Note that if this is a parenting issue, you won't solve it using a technical solution, or at least not for very long (any reasonably bright kid will find ways around any restrictions you put in place pretty quickly). Parenting issues require you to be a parent.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Infoteq Friday, August 27, 2010 7:56 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:08 PM

All replies

• It's not difficult to restrict a user's access by hours, but there's no GUI interface to help you and I don't know of a Windows Home Server add-in for the purpose. You'll need to log in using Remote Desktop to use the net user command line tool to set access hours for their server account (you'll find this command documented on Technet, among other places), and you'll need to make sure that the guest account doesn't have any access to the shares you want to restrict.

Note that if this is a parenting issue, you won't solve it using a technical solution, or at least not for very long (any reasonably bright kid will find ways around any restrictions you put in place pretty quickly). Parenting issues require you to be a parent.

• Marked as answer by Infoteq Friday, August 27, 2010 7:56 PM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I appreciate the help, but not the implied criticism. While I agree that parenting issues require you to be a parent, I have found that being able to speak from a position of control allows me to be far more persuasive. Teenagers are obstinate and don't respond well to 'don't do that, but i can't do anything to stop you'. Your reasonably bright kids simply work better at concealing their activities. Sure, when the child oversleeps we can blame the nocturnal rule-breaking, but unless we are awake to catch them, it is merely a supposition without proof.

Since I require proof to punish, I have three choices: I can stay up to catch them in the act. I can use technology to capture their activities in a log. I can use technology to make breaking the rules pointless.

Since I work, I can't really afford to be getting up at all hours or staying up all hours. That leaves me with technology as my only other two alternatives. Since I am the boyfriend and not even the step-parent my authority extends only through my girlfriend. Therefore, I chose the less confrontational method.

Since you're offering parenting advice as well as technical advice, I'd be curious as to what course of action you would suggest? Please assume the first talking-to was ineffective, since it already was.

-Infoteq

Friday, August 27, 2010 7:46 PM
  • I don't see any actual parenting advice up there, to be honest, just an observation that technical solutions aren't a substitute for parenting. :) And I won't give any; I don't know you or your kid(s). I didn't intend criticism, but I don't believe for a moment (Do you? Really?) that just cutting off your kid's access to some shares every night is going to solve any issues. You escalate, they escalate, you escalate back. You know where that will end...

Friday, August 27, 2010 8:30 PM
  • BTW, setting logon hours for an account will only prevent new connections after that time.

Any open file or even explorer window before the logon hours expires will remain accessible.
    You would be better off using a scheduled task to disable the account AND disconnect any sessions or files open.

Yes, I've been there tried that...

-timotl

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:18 PM