Is Usenet/Nzb client there? RRS feed

• Question

• I need a usenet/nzb client for windows home server console.
    Now the only solution i have come across is using a webpage based client called "SABnzb".
    I have tried using the website addin and the whiist addin`s to put it on the console but it doesnt work.
    I have already searched these forums for a solution to my question

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any. i would be greatful.

Cheers
    Matt
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:10 PM

Answers

• If you're looking for an NNTP server tool, there's one that's available as part of IIS. It's not integrated with the WHS Console (or even installed by default) because WHS isn't intended to be a news server. Still, you should be able to set it up; it's not that difficult. To deal with storage issues, adding a drive to the server (but not adding it to the storage pool in the console) would probably be your best bet.

As for a client, the WHS Console is for administrative tasks. An add-in that puts an NNTP client in the console would be inappropriate, at best. Putting a web-based client on the server would be a possibility, but you'll probably have to seek assistance from the creator of the software you want to install, I'm afraid, unless someone here has configured an NNTP client tool on WHS (which I haven't).
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Okay, I understand your needs a little better now. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of advice for you.

I haven't seen anything that will do exactly what you want, I'm afraid. I can tell you that if you don't want your users to use Remote Desktop to access the server, you don't want a console add-in, because they need the administrator password to the server to access the console. You're going to wind up "rolling your own" solution to some extent, I think.

Regarding using WHS as a hub, it depends on your definition, I think. What WHS actually does do it does well: backups, protect your digital stuff, make your digital stuff available anytime, anywhere. However, because it's intended to be easy for a non-technical user to configure and administer, most of the power of the Windows Server 2003 engine is hidden behind the console. And most of that power will be "unsupported" as in the WHS team doesn't test that scenario, so if you have a problem you're on your own.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:43 AM

All replies

• If you're looking for an NNTP server tool, there's one that's available as part of IIS. It's not integrated with the WHS Console (or even installed by default) because WHS isn't intended to be a news server. Still, you should be able to set it up; it's not that difficult. To deal with storage issues, adding a drive to the server (but not adding it to the storage pool in the console) would probably be your best bet.

As for a client, the WHS Console is for administrative tasks. An add-in that puts an NNTP client in the console would be inappropriate, at best. Putting a web-based client on the server would be a possibility, but you'll probably have to seek assistance from the creator of the software you want to install, I'm afraid, unless someone here has configured an NNTP client tool on WHS (which I haven't).
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:54 PM
  • 1. Thanks for your quick reply.
    2. I need this feature as more than my self use it in my household. I dont want them all to have to remote access the server. On the admin account to do so.
    3. It`s this way because most of the computers connected have very little in the way of hard drive space. So documents, files media etc all go onto the server.

I am currently just trying WHS out for 30days and it has some great features. But at the same time it feels too limited. There arent enough add-in`s yet for it to truely work as a hub. So i might have to go back to the Media center ed of xp i used to forfill this requirement. As it wasnt limited.

Cheers
    Matt
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Okay, I understand your needs a little better now. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of advice for you.

I haven't seen anything that will do exactly what you want, I'm afraid. I can tell you that if you don't want your users to use Remote Desktop to access the server, you don't want a console add-in, because they need the administrator password to the server to access the console. You're going to wind up "rolling your own" solution to some extent, I think.

Regarding using WHS as a hub, it depends on your definition, I think. What WHS actually does do it does well: backups, protect your digital stuff, make your digital stuff available anytime, anywhere. However, because it's intended to be easy for a non-technical user to configure and administer, most of the power of the Windows Server 2003 engine is hidden behind the console. And most of that power will be "unsupported" as in the WHS team doesn't test that scenario, so if you have a problem you're on your own.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 3:43 AM
  • Yes i know. I totally agree. Thats why with what i had, the media center ed that i was running had alot more to it.
    I just believe that WHS needs more to it. £500+ for a home server that does as much as a NAS with  a backup client and a torrent client. Is better value than this is shaping up to be. At this rate this will have missed the large market that this solution could have filled.

I am not looking to run news server or a webserver or load balancing setup. Just something that manages a home network.
    I have managed that to a certain respect with a client server based anti virus program.

I will see what i can come up with but i am not developer.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:02 PM
  • Maybe, I'm off base but Ninan is pretty awesome. It's a web based nzb downloaded that plugs directly into newzBin. I've used it for over a year now and couldn't be happier.

I wasn't sure if you were looking for a client to download files. or not, but Ninan handles par checking and un-raring all automatically.

http://www.ninan.org/modules/news/

Cheers.
    Friday, November 9, 2007 4:50 AM