acer h340 homeserver cannot connect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've the following strange problem. I've an acer h340 WHS. Everything worked fine. Then suddenly (no hard- or software changes) I cannot connect to the WHS via the console. I can see al the shared maps and reach them but cannot connect to the server. Even the recovery disc cannot find the server. Because the acer doesn't have a vga-card I cannot "see" into the WHS.

Is there any solution (the helpdeks of Acer was of no use)?

john
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi John, normally WHS recovery has two options, Acer calls them Server Recovery and Factory Reset. The first option should normally preserve all of your data and client backups (unless a disk is failing, in that case only data in duplicated shares are preserved).

Also the recovery /restore procedure is described in detail in the manual (pages 118 - 122, inlcuding the procedure to press and and hold the reset button (page 122, paragraph 6.4)

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:55 AM

All replies

• If you are sure you made no changes to your network configuration or firewall settings:

1. Please try rebooting the server (press power button once to power down, when shut down press button again) and the client
    2. If this doesnt'fix you can try and logon to the server using remote desktop (on a client do Start, Run, type mstsc.exe, Hit Enter, computername is name of your server, username = Administrator, password = identical toy WHS console password).

The recovery disk will probably only find the server when you have booted it into recovery mode (read the manual).
    Monday, September 28, 2009 9:47 PM
  • Hello Brubber,

Yes I tried the reboot but that didn't help. And I logged in via the remote desk. Nothing strange there except there was an error with a service called wisdm or something like that. Anyway I disabled tha service and reboot but that did't help either.

I finally found elsewhere on the internet that I have to hold the reset button at the bakcend of the server while restarting to get in the recovery mode (that's not what the manual says). So before doing that I'm moving all my files to another computer ( it's so strange, I can (fortunately) reach all my files on the WHS) and will later try the recovery with the reset button pushed al the way during the reboot.

john
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Hi John, normally WHS recovery has two options, Acer calls them Server Recovery and Factory Reset. The first option should normally preserve all of your data and client backups (unless a disk is failing, in that case only data in duplicated shares are preserved).

Also the recovery /restore procedure is described in detail in the manual (pages 118 - 122, inlcuding the procedure to press and and hold the reset button (page 122, paragraph 6.4)

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:55 AM
  • Hello Brubber,

Thank you very much for the manual.

I'm now at the office so I can't do anything. I'll try tonight the option with press and holding the reset button. I'll inform you how it goes.

john
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:50 AM
  • Well,

Finally got it working. When holding the reset button during reboot the recovery disk couldn't find anything. When I released the reset button after a while it finally did. The recovery disk did find the server and via the recommended settings I got the server working again.
    It took quite a while before the home server console connected to the server but at the end it did and everything was still there! All the backups, files etc. Wonderful, but...... the "i" led on the front is red (not blinking just steady red). I know from the manual what might be the cause but how can I find out which of the possibilities is the cause? Are there any tools for that?

Anyway Brubber, thank you very much for the support!

john
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Hmm, sounds like bad news to me.

First of all, if you have any data that is stored only on your server best copy to a save location. Then try and reboot the server. If this doesn't fix it  check the Home Server Console for Errors (Acer has a system information Tab). If you find nothing there:

1. Logon to your server using remote desktop; On client do Start, Run, type mstsc.exe and Hit Enter. Computername = Name of your server, Users= Administrator, Password = Windows Home server Console password.
    2. On the server do Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and look for errors
    3. Then do Start, Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Management. Problematic devices are normally expanded.

If you have (or have not) identified the problem best contact your supplier or call Acer support for a solution.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Hellom Brubber,

With the hardware there are no problems.

However in the event viewer I noticed some warnings and errors. In Sytem i got 5 errors. Some are old (well at least from mine latest succesfull recovery): W32time (ID 17), SBCore (ID 1009) abd some are coming up evrytime I reboor: TermSerDevices (ID 1111). The last one is about an MIcrosoft Shared Fax Driver required for printer fax is unknown. I don't have a printer fax.

WHen I follow the links to the help and support centre I get no clues.

At the tab Home Server I only got a warning (Event ID 1795): server master certicifate .... is missing. This is usually an indication that the system was manually modified.

I don't know what that means because it is an Acer server right out of the box.

john
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:39 PM
  • No errors in the WHS console; Acer system information tab or Red WHS network health icon at the top right of the console?

Acoording to the manual, when the System Information ("I") indicator is solid red there's a serious problem, most likely hardware related. Could also be that the missing server master certificate is causing the red indicator, however I think this is unlikely.

I wouldn't say it's "right out of the box", you experienced a serious error, then performed a server recovery which apparently (red indicator) still didn't fix all your problems.

I think your best shot is to call Acer support or your supplier. IMHO they should either solve the problem or replace the server.

EDIT: I think the system status indicator light will also turn solid red when WHS reports network health is at risk. This can be caused by several issues, for example failed backup, system not backed up for a long time, and so on. Just open the WHS console on the server or a client and click on the network healt indicator icon. AFAIK this is NOT mentioned in the Acer manual.
    • Edited by brubberModerator Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:37 PM see EDIT note
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Yes!

It was the network health. There were some warnings with out of dated viruscanners on some pc's (which is not true) and when I checked the box "ignore" the red i turned to steady blue.

Well I must say that the WHS is a very good product. I had my doubts this week but with the recovery everything went fine. And now everything also "looks" fine. The red i almost made me bring back the Acer today but the "network health" was the solution.

Thank you very much again Brubber!!

john
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:21 AM
  • Glad I could help. Hope you enjoy Home Server as much as I do!
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:31 AM
  • Thanx Brubber and John! I experienced the same problem. All well again!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Hello,

I was experiencing a similar problem. I followed the instructions in the manual (which says to briefly press and hold the reset button after you have turned it on) but the recovery DVD wasn't finding the server. It wasn't until I pressed the reset button while turning it on and then gave the recovery utility 4 or 5 tries did it find my server.

Posted in the hopes it helps someone else.
    Marc
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:04 PM
  • There is a considerable delay from the time of pressing the Red Button/turning the server on and the server paying attention to the Server Recovery utility. Until the I light shows Red and the network light comes on, don't bother trying to connect. On the H340 you need to press that button several times in the first minute to get the sever to enter recovery mode.

I think these unspecified-length delays are at the root of many people's issues when first starting one of these servers. If you are impationet, there is a high probability that you will reset the server while it is in th emiddle of something!

Monday, January 11, 2010 10:15 PM