Windows Home Server Backup Service is not running RRS feed

• Question

• I've checked the related topics but none of the fixes seem to work...

1.) rebooted the system - no luck

2.) turned on the service - it immediately shuts itself down

3.) tried to install the WHS Toolkit, but the Add-ins does not see it - I've confirmed it's in the shared software addins folder.

4.) I don't know how to perform the suggestion in the run command - don't know which file is the bad handle.

5.) all my data seems to be in tact - I don't recall doing anything that would cause the service to stop.

Help!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 11:59 PM

All replies

• I've checked the related topics but none of the fixes seem to work...

1.) rebooted the system - no luck

2.) turned on the service - it immediately shuts itself down

3.) tried to install the WHS Toolkit, but the Add-ins does not see it - I've confirmed it's in the shared software addins folder.

4.) I don't know how to perform the suggestion in the run command - don't know which file is the bad handle.

5.) all my data seems to be in tact - I don't recall doing anything that would cause the service to stop.

Help!

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server?  Also, for point 3, check the instruction manual on how to install the WHS Toolkit (it doesn't install like other add-ins).
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:21 AM
  • Thanks for the response...

Tried chkdsk / r on both drives - no errors, bad sectors, etc...  I was able to get the WHS Toolkit installed.  In addition I have the add-in - Advanced Admin Console.  I'm at a dead-end.  

Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Probably your backup database has been corrupted. Please try to repair the backup database as described in this support document. Please note that you may (very likely) loose all client backups in the process)

If this fails you can manually delete the backup database:

1)       Logon to your home server desktop (Remote desktop is OK)

2)      Start, Run, type cmd, hit Enter

3)       In command shell type net stop pdl and hit Enter then type net stop whsbackup and hit Enter

4)       If you have a one disk system browse to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}, Delete ALL files in this folder.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:42 AM
  • wow. sorry to bring an old thread back but I have been fighting this for a long time. Believe it or not I would do a search and I would only find old threads about this, none would fix the problem (I know that I could probably learn a few things about search..lol..).

Thank you!

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:09 PM