none
Where to start - .NET web apps in C# and MS SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've come across some quick start guides on .NET web apps, connecting to a database with a .NET web app, and others; for example getting started with a web app using Java EE + JDBC -> MS SQL or MySQL.

These are very light on details to me.  I'm not that familiar with how to make an .NET MVC web app work for me.  For instance, if I wanted to develop a web app in .NET that used a MS SQL database, I would look at models, views and controllers, but then what?

How do I tie them in with the web app UI and put it behind a nice mobile friendly site?  Importing Bootstrap, themes, JQuery and anything else I want?  If I wanted to write a demo fake banking application, I'm not sure how I'd go about realizing the design.

So, I would have an SQL database ready and create the database.  I create views for login, viewing accounts and statements, moving funds between accounts, things like that.  The controller would be the logic that takes care of (?) /login, /accounts, /accounts/view, /accounts/transfer, /logout.  The models would I guess be the logic that interacts with the database and updates, inserts and does other things with records/data, connecting to the SQL database.  Then the models would create views (?)

The quick start tutorials just leave me even more confused about where to go to learn this stuff and how I can create some demo apps for my own amusement ready to write real apps.

One example with the web app + SQL using Java is that I don't know where to put the JSP files I want, how to use servlets or Java Beans and where they go, and where they fit in with the entire app.  I would like, if possible, to have some pages, eg. /index.jsp (store front), /search.jsp, /browse.jsp, /cart.jsp, /order.jsp, which can call Java objects to do the things they need, like connect to a database.  The same thing roughly for .NET web apps in C#, and whether I can put a lot of application logic in .NET libraries and call them from aspx pages for instance.

Where can I go to learn how to work with .NET MVC apps, .NET Core 2 web apps, and Java web apps that makes it transparent and easy to follow?  So I can think, I need this type of functionality, and know how to code it, but where to code it and how to use it?  If that makes sense...

I think my overall goal is to become a good .NET developer with C#, and a Java EE developer working on Azure.

Thanks for any help.

• Moved by Sabah ShariqMVP Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:57 AM Moved From Visual C#
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies