WLOC encountered a problem - states subscription expired, but it isn't! RRS feed

• Question

• WLOC turned red for me today.

So I bring up the main page, and behold: "Actions to Take... a problem has occured.... contact Help Center"

So I go to the Help Center, naively thinking that WLOC would provide what problem occured to the Help Center so it could..haha.. help me.. Of course, this isn't so.. and i'm left scratching my head as to what the problem it is since WLOC is so vague about it..

Stubborn as always, I take a closer look at the WLOC main window, and notice the backup section no longer has a next backup date specified. Instead it indicates "configure backup" so I click configure backup..

Lo and behold WLOC exclaims "Backup is turned off because your subscription is expired. To renew your subscription, follow the instructions under Actions to Take".

Well, the instructions under Actions to Take are to go to the Help Center. So back I go, armed with a potential "problem" that I might find "help" for..

No subjects are listed in the Help center for expired subscription, as far as I can see,  and entering "expired license" as a search criteria returns a confused response from the Help Center bot.

Still determined, I press on.

I manage to track down the link to the Windows Live Onecare Members Center, and from there get to a billing information page which instructs me to provide a windows live id. This turns on a lightbulb: what windows live id is associated with my install of WLOC right now?

Back to WLOC, perform a help and about and get the windows live id.

Take that windows live id and enter it to determine the status of my subscription from there. And what do you know. It's enabled, and is due for renewal in February 2008.

So why is WLOC exclaiming my subscription is expired? And what can I do to resolve this problem?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:47 PM

Answers

• Boy, do I feel stupid. I believe a Homer-like "doh!" is needed for this occasion.

Maybe this will help others: if you have a 2 year old daughter who likes clicking mouse buttons while you're feeding your 1 month old, and she CHANGES THE SYSTEM DATE on your computer.. voila.. you get the problem described above.

I noticed after the posting that my computer was set to November 12.. Great Scott Marty!

I reset the date back to the current date, rebooted the system, and WLOC is now green.

In hindsight it makes perfect sense: setting the system date prior to an expiry date of the app is one cheapo way of tricking the app into thinking it's still active.. but not so for WLOC.. The folks were smart enough not to allow this Wink Good  job folks... my hats off to ya..

Anywho.. i'm back in action.. the only odd remnant of this whole thing is that my "reminder for next backup" is set to a point in time BEFORE my last backup taken.. I'm hoping a manual backup execution will reset that..

So far so good..

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:09 AM

All replies

• Boy, do I feel stupid. I believe a Homer-like "doh!" is needed for this occasion.

Maybe this will help others: if you have a 2 year old daughter who likes clicking mouse buttons while you're feeding your 1 month old, and she CHANGES THE SYSTEM DATE on your computer.. voila.. you get the problem described above.

I noticed after the posting that my computer was set to November 12.. Great Scott Marty!

I reset the date back to the current date, rebooted the system, and WLOC is now green.

In hindsight it makes perfect sense: setting the system date prior to an expiry date of the app is one cheapo way of tricking the app into thinking it's still active.. but not so for WLOC.. The folks were smart enough not to allow this Wink Good  job folks... my hats off to ya..

Anywho.. i'm back in action.. the only odd remnant of this whole thing is that my "reminder for next backup" is set to a point in time BEFORE my last backup taken.. I'm hoping a manual backup execution will reset that..

So far so good..

Thursday, December 13, 2007 12:09 AM
  • No need to feel stupid. The little things can be hard to see sometimes!

Whenever there is an issue like this, one of the first things we do recommend is to verify the system date and time and also to verify the subscription status on the Billing web site - http://billing.microsoft.com Since the date was wrong on your PC, the second step wasn't needed. However, had the date been correct, we would then check the subscription status on the Billing site. If it was active with the correct expiration date, we'd know it was a problem on the PC side or some sort of glitch between the OneCare back end and your PC.

So, thanks for reporting the solution!

As for the backup, I suspect that it may sort itself out. If not, go ahead and run a manual backup to get it back in sync.

-steve

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:30 AM