WHS and AV systems RRS feed

• Question

• Ok here's what I'm trying to do...  I want to use the WHS to watch web content, Hule, YouTube, Live Streaming (college football).  I'm running into problems, I believe, on the hardware side of things.  So let me start there, here's what I've got.

1 Wired WHS
    2 Wireless equiped/networked Vista laptops
    1 Wired XP laptop (old, use it like a netbook)
    1 Wireless XP PC
    1 TiVo series 2
    1 PS2 (don't really use it, not much into gaming)
    1 DVD player
    1 LG Plasma (has HDMI, S-Video, RCA in/out)
    1 Sony Receiver (older, no HDMI but with optical, S-Video, and RCA hookups)
    1 120GB Zune (not an HD)

I'm not willing to purchase anything beyond a few cables so don't anyone send me out looking for a XBOX, or like extender.  Anyone have an idea of how I can watch a web-cast football game this weekend using the above?  Also I want to run the audio and video through the reciever to use the surround sound, if its only stereo encoding that's fine, but I don't use the TV speakers at all in this system.

The router and cable modem are both in the AV cabinet if that helps at all.

Thanks.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:17 PM

All replies

• If your WHS is a custom-build, you can install a decent sound card and video card to output to your TV and receiver. It sucks your receiver does not have HDMI, but standard RCA should work.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:09 PM
  • You don't have the hardware required to get the best experience. I think you realize that. However, you do have:
    2 Wireless equiped/networked Vista laptops
    Use one of them to watch the web cast. Probably they both have output connectors for something that you will be able to hook up successfully.

Also, note that Windows Home Server is not designed to function as a home theater PC. You can force the issue, but it's not a great user experience.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 25, 2009 3:40 PM