Transfering XP license to another person. RRS feed

• Question

• I Have a copy of XP Pro Version 2002 that was installed and activated on a machine that I've upgraded to Vista (Clean install). A friend is struggling with his computer and I wish to help him out and transfer this license to him. How do I do this?

Cheers

Peter
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Peter S G-DDLA,

The type of installation you did is irrelevant, the type of Vista license that you purchased is very relevant.  Consumers can purchase a full retail or upgrade retail license for Vista in retail stores.  Consumers can usually purchase those plus OEM licenses for Vista at specialty computer stores and online.  Just look at the Vista package:  usually an upgrade license will have a red box that has "upgrade" on the front of the package, and will definitely have "upgrade" or "upg" on the Certificate of Authenticity.

However, in your situation this is a moot point because you mentioned that the XP license is an OEM license.  An OEM license is valid only on the computer onto which it is first installed and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  So, regardless of whether your Vista is an upgrade of full license, the XP license cannot be moved to a new computer.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hello Peter S G-DDLA,

If your Vista license is a retail Upgrade license, you cannot transfer the underlying XP license because it has been incorporated into the Vista license when it was upgraded to Vista.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:47 PM
  • No it was a clean install to vista home premium I don't like upgrades they leave too much rubbish behind!!!.

Cheers.

PS The XP version is an OEM type.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hello Peter S G-DDLA,

The type of installation you did is irrelevant, the type of Vista license that you purchased is very relevant.  Consumers can purchase a full retail or upgrade retail license for Vista in retail stores.  Consumers can usually purchase those plus OEM licenses for Vista at specialty computer stores and online.  Just look at the Vista package:  usually an upgrade license will have a red box that has "upgrade" on the front of the package, and will definitely have "upgrade" or "upg" on the Certificate of Authenticity.

However, in your situation this is a moot point because you mentioned that the XP license is an OEM license.  An OEM license is valid only on the computer onto which it is first installed and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.  So, regardless of whether your Vista is an upgrade of full license, the XP license cannot be moved to a new computer.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:20 PM
  • Thanks everybody for that, it's the conclusion I came up to after a short look around on the net.

Peter
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:59 PM