My Windows XP Will Not Validate! RRS feed

• Question

• Help!

I purchased my PC through Dell, with Windows XP pre-installed.  After the latest update, now you're telling me my software fails validateion!  Incredible!  I've followed the Microsoft Genuine Software site path, getting as far as the "create new product key" part, and it fails. 

So I downloaded the MGA Diagnostic tool, and here are my results.  Please help! 

Thanks,

johnnyfyve

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-92Y7F-M7KDW-TPCRY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BWGplrgOgIPwwgn2MczRmTKlNVA=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-0134841-23379
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {D31B2B65-C7E0-4106-BD3B-AE1B626E3EB2}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{D31B2B65-C7E0-4106-BD3B-AE1B626E3EB2}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-TPCRY</PKey><PID>55274-640-0134841-23379</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3779935395-3000887322-1647371527</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation      </Manufacturer><Model>DIM4500                        </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020522000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>8CC538E701842062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Dell Computer Corporation</name><model>Dell DIMENSION DIM4500</model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>4AE985DCC4DE604</Val><Hash>zqUR0hE/l7up4A0GKsSAk7DM8xI=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0867867-17356</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Saturday, October 13, 2007 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hello Johnny,

We are sorry to hear about the experiences you are having. Maybe I can provide you with information which can help.  First manufactures have different ways to distribute OEM software either with a recovery installation disc or by locating a recovery partition on the hard drive. I have a couple questions for you. Have you ever had to take the computer to any local repair facilities since you have owned the system? Several manufacturers (Do Not Hold Me To This) have started to change from providing reinstallation media to locating hidden portions on the system. In turn this would be the user responsibility for making their restore disc prior using the computer. 

Recovery CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:  800- 624-9896

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup&advsrch=False  http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/get_article.asp?aid=1293

Another alternative may be to visit Dell Community Forums @ http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/. Maybe you can search for replace a lost Dell system restore disk. 

Hopefully this information will provide you with assistance.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:00 PM

All replies

• Johnnyfyve,

Right now, your Dell Dimension 4500 computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 11), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

If you search the forum for the part of the VLK reported by the mgadiag utility, 92Y7F-M7KDW-TPCRY, you will see that several other posters having submitted reports with that same blocked VLK.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Aslo, a Volume License for XP is an upgrade license ONLY and cannot be used as the original license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

The Good News is that your installation of Office XP is showing as Genuine!  However, note that the Product ID for your installed copy of Office XP indicates that it is a Volume License.  If your copy of Office XP was purchased or obtained outside of the framework of a business or educational setting, please note that the chances are pretty good that this is not a "correct" application of a Volume License and sooner or later it will be ID'd as compromised and the Product Key will also be blocked.

Luckily, the solution to your problem with your Operating System is simple.

If the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on your computer is for XP Pro, you can try to use the Product Key Updater Utility to change the Product Key to the genuine PK on the CoA.  Here is a link to the utility:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

If the Certificate of Authenticity is for XP Home, Media Center, or Tablet Edition, use the recovery solution supplied by Dell (Dell PC Restore by Symantec) to replace the nongenuine volume installation of XP Pro with the genuine Dell OEM installation of Home, Media Center or Tablet.

Be sure to back up and offload your data before you do this because typically the recovery process destroys all data on the user partition of the hard disk.  If the computer does not have Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed, your other option is to use the Dell OS Reinstallation CD.  If you do not have the Reinstallation CD supplied by Dell, you can order the CD for many Dell models directly from Dell for a reasonably modest fee, usually around $15.  If they cannot help you, try http://www.restoredisks.com

Sunday, October 14, 2007 1:56 AM
  • Dan:

First of all, thanks for your response.  This is extremely frustrating. 

I do not understand why the burden of fixing this problem is on me, though.  I paid Dell a lot of money to buy this computer with its operating system and Office suite preinstalled.  Now, years later, why is it suddenly invalid?

Dell's misuse of a volume license key shouldn't be my problem.

Now my problem is this:

- while I have Windows XP pro installed, the COA on my PC is marked, "Windows XP Home edition" 

- I do not have Dell PC restore installed

- I do not have a Dell OS reinstallation CD

So your solution is to pay $15 to fix a problem I didn't create?

Thanks,

johnnyfyve

Sunday, October 14, 2007 7:55 PM
  • Hello Johnny,

We are sorry to hear about the experiences you are having. Maybe I can provide you with information which can help.  First manufactures have different ways to distribute OEM software either with a recovery installation disc or by locating a recovery partition on the hard drive. I have a couple questions for you. Have you ever had to take the computer to any local repair facilities since you have owned the system? Several manufacturers (Do Not Hold Me To This) have started to change from providing reinstallation media to locating hidden portions on the system. In turn this would be the user responsibility for making their restore disc prior using the computer. 

Recovery CD’s are specific to your computer manufacturer. Please contact your manufacturer for assistance. They should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. Since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

I have included their contact information here for your convenience:  800- 624-9896

http://search.dell.com/index.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&ec=k&ira=False&cat=sup&advsrch=False  http://www.supportforyourpc.com/tools/get_article.asp?aid=1293

Another alternative may be to visit Dell Community Forums @ http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/. Maybe you can search for replace a lost Dell system restore disk. 

Hopefully this information will provide you with assistance.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 15, 2007 9:00 PM
  • Johnnyfyve,

The chances of Dell shipping you a computer with a nongenuine Volume License key for XP and a VL key for Office are as close to Zero as you can get.

What is MUCH more likely is what Stephen of MS described--at some point the computer was "repaired" or "upgraded" by an untrained tech at a local shop or by a friend who was trying to help you with a problem.

If your Dell was shipped on or about mid-August 2004, it would have been equipped with Dell PC Restore by Symantec, a hidden partition that would have allowed you to fix this problem in less that 30 minutes.  Quite often the untrained person who "fixed" your computer would have foolishly deleted this hidden partition.

If the computer came from Dell with an OEM installation of Office as well, the Dell PC Restore partition would have restored that, too.  The edition of Office you have now (Office XP Pro with Front Page) was never offered in an OEM version.

As it stands right now, you will still need to contact Dell to order CDs so you can install both Office and XP.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 1:02 AM
  •  

Johnnyfyve,

The solution is that you are using IU's VL key for Windows XP Pro.  If you did not attend IU/IUPUI/IUetc... from 2000 - 2002, you could not legitimately use the OS.  Another good post is here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2289496&SiteID=25

If you did attend an IU-based school during those times and DID legitimately purchase XP (or it was given to you when you started attending, as mine was), then you can contact IU's HelpDesk (http://kb.iu.edu/data/abxl.html) based on which campus you attended, and they will give you a new VL Key that will be specific to you. 

Either way, this means 1 of a few things:

1) You bought the PC from someone that has this copy of Windows XP Pro from IU

2) You bought the PC and then upgraded the OS using a pirated/licensed copy of XP Pro from IU

3) You bought the PC, upgraded the OS with XP Pro from IU, and now live outside of Indiana

I'm sure there are a few other options, but that key is definitely from an IU-based school's VL key for XP Pro.

For information directly from IU about this issue, view this:

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aviz.html

Friday, February 1, 2008 12:46 PM
  • The best answer is in this guys column.  Read through what he did with MS and then the solution is at the end.

http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_activate_windows_xp.html

Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:17 AM
  • Please do not resurrect a 4 year old thread.

If you have a Validation or Activation issue or question, create your own thread.

<Thread Locked>

Darin MS
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:53 PM