WHS not showing correct size and not able to copy large files to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

My system is a custom built WHS with PP3.  Six drives total. 5 x 1TB and a system drive 1 x 1.5TB.  The system has been functioning flawlessly but I have stumbled across a reproducible problem trying to copy files larger than 40GB to the shares.  I am getting out of disk space errors.  In the console  the drive shows a size of 1.36TB with 37% used.   There are anomalies when looking at the drive in disk management.  There is garbage data where the used bytes info should be and the free bytes info shows 1.6TB.  In explorer the D:\ drive reports a total size of 1.29TB and a free size of 1.6TB.

This problem may have existed for some time as I rarely move files this big.  I do have that need now and am wondering what I should do next?  Currently in troubleshooting the problem I now have a drive connected via USB to the server with the large files and am using explorer to copy the files to the UNC \\server\share shares.  This is what is NOT working for me.  BTW i have run CHKDSK on all the drives with no errors.

Anyone have an ideas on how to proceed?   Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

James

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:36 PM

All replies

• Hey all,

My system is a custom built WHS with PP3.  Six drives total. 5 x 1TB and a system drive 1 x 1.5TB.  The system has been functioning flawlessly but I have stumbled across a reproducible problem trying to copy files larger than 40GB to the shares.  I am getting out of disk space errors.  In the console  the drive shows a size of 1.36TB with 37% used.   There are anomalies when looking at the drive in disk management.  There is garbage data where the used bytes info should be and the free bytes info shows 1.6TB.

That's normal.

In explorer the D:\ drive reports a total size of 1.29TB and a free size of 1.6TB.

Also normal.

This problem may have existed for some time as I rarely move files this big.  I do have that need now and am wondering what I should do next?  Currently in troubleshooting the problem I now have a drive connected via USB to the server with the large files and am using explorer to copy the files to the UNC \\server\share shares.  This is what is NOT working for me.  BTW i have run CHKDSK on all the drives with no errors.

Anyone have an ideas on how to proceed?   Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

James

First thing I would try is uninstalling Power Pack 3 beta.  If it works afterwards, you should file a bug report on Connect.  If you are still having problems after uninstalling PP3 beta, check the component numbers (Settings button, Resources tab) and post the results here.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

I have uninstalled PP3 and the results are the same.  I then reinstalled PP3 and here are the component numbers you requested:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2361.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2361.0

Thanks again for your help with this.   Do any next steps jump out at you ?

FWIW I looked at the drive while attached to another box and there it reports free/used space properly.

James
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:00 PM

I have uninstalled PP3 and the results are the same.  I then reinstalled PP3 and here are the component numbers you requested:

FWIW I looked at the drive while attached to another box and there it reports free/used space properly.

James

Actually, the point was to find out your component numbers without Power Pack 3 beta being installed.  Please uninstall it again, reboot the server, then post the numbers.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:31 PM

James

Actually, the point was to find out your component numbers without Power Pack 3 beta being installed.  Please uninstall it again, reboot the server, then post the numbers.

Ooops sorry :)

Here are the numbers AFTER the uninstall of PP3:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

Hope this helps,

James

Friday, September 4, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Ooops sorry :)

Here are the numbers AFTER the uninstall of PP3:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0

Hope this helps,

James

How have you been adding data to the server?  Have you always used \\server\<sharename> (or some other method)?  Are you using Windows Explorer to copy files (or a 3rd party tool)?  Can you logon to the server desktop and see if there is an active process in Task Manager called DEMigrator.exe?  Also, while in the server desktop, can you take a pic of Disk Management, upload it to a photo website (such as flickr), then post a link to it here?
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 1:41 PM