Is MS making my PC phone home ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My PC is running a guinine MS-Windows XP SP2 OS (I always pay for what I am using !!).
    It has passed the guinine check without any problem.

It looks however like my PC is phoning home every now and then to verify/confirm that my version of WinXP is stil guinine.

Is this true ?

And if yes :
    What should I do to stop this ?
    Can I ask MS to pay for the used bandwidth ? If all my honestly bought programs start doing the same thing, I might end up with no sufficient bandwidth to do anything else on the web :-))

Thanks & regards
    Geo

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:01 PM
  • Me2care,

Pilot versions of the Notification tool periodically contacted MS servers to ask the server if the tool should turn itself off.

Final worldwide versions of the Notification tool do not contact any servers whatsoever.

This post may provide further information:  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=510922&SiteID=25

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:25 AM
  • Final worldwide versions of the Notification tool do not contact any servers whatsoever (emphasis mine)

Then why was I able to capture an XML packet containing identifying information destined back to Redmond when notifications installed on my test machine (I had ethereal sniffing the wire) and why about every two weeks is another packet with similar information sent to the same domain?

Even MS themselves have said that while the beta version released as a critical update phoned home every login the revised version, created as a result of complaints, only reduced the frequency of dial-in events not stop them.

I really think you not only need to add a disclaimer to all your posts saying you are only a fanboi but you need to redefine your use of the word Whatsoever.

To the OP, it's only a small packet, in total about 2K of data each time, even if all your software started to spy on you like notifications does it would take 2,000 packages before you could burn out an average quota.
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 10:02 AM
  • WGA is no worse than your antivirus program "phoning home" to check for new antivirus definitions.
    Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:47 PM
  • Glow,

Is the packet from the Validation Tool or the Notification Tool?

Exact contents of packet?

Thursday, July 27, 2006 3:12 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Final worldwide versions of the Notification tool do not contact any servers whatsoever.

Really? My WGA Notification just tried to access the internet - after reboot. I'm wondering what it wanted to do on the net, then... just browse?

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:58 PM
  • Whichi version are you running? (This can be determined by running the diag tool and ensuring WGA Notifications version says 1.5.540.0)
    Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:29 AM
  • I don’t know what is diag tool, sorry

According to the add/remove program it’s 1.5.0526.0 installed on 5/18/2006 :/ although I downloaded its updates a few times, including full-general public release’… well, at least I told it to download and install them.

It’s KB905474 that means it’s not the pilot version, is it?

Saturday, July 29, 2006 2:27 PM
  • Huh,

1.5.0526.0 is the pilot version.

1.5.540.0 is the worldwide full release version.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 3:21 PM
  • Does this mean I can remove it following these instructions? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:14 PM
  •  huh54769 wrote:

Does this mean I can remove it following these instructions? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

Yup.

Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:08 PM