none
Create mobile app with IBM MQ support RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web site which was developed in .net 4.0 using Visual Basic. The site makes use of IBM mq series calls to pass messages between the browser and a legacy mainframe system.  I am being asked to develop a mobile app and provide the same functionality as the web site.  I know I can create a new mobile app project in Visual Studio 2017 which will create an empty Apache Cordova mobile app.  How do I integrate IBM mq series into the mobile app?  In my web application, I was able to import the IBM.WMQ which gives me the ability to create an MQQueueManager Instance, an MQQueue instance, and a MQMessage instance.  

Any assistance/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jonathan

jonathan small

Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

For both ease of development (availability of reference assemblies) and for security (so as not to expose the mainframe to the mobile app) it would be best for you to create a web service which serves as an intermediary between the mainframe and the mobile app.  The web service can contain the reference assembly necessary to communicate with the mainframe and then expose web methods that the mobile app can call, which in turn, call the methods related to mainframe communication.

This kind of service is pretty standard for allowing mobile apps secure and reliable connections to backend data systems (even when using SQL).

Does that make sense?

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:26 PM
  • Looks like I have a lot of research to do.  I have never done anything like that before.  Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

jonathan small

Friday, July 13, 2018 2:47 PM
  • On an older ASP.Net web application you will probably want to use classic "web services" to avoid needing to make too many changes to the existing web app.  Or, if you don't want to modify the existing site, then you probably want to create a new ASP.Net Web API service.

Either way, the end result is actually fairly simple to implement.

If you have additional questions on the web side of things, be sure to visit https://forums.asp.net as that is the correct site for ASP.Net application related questions.  You can come back to this forum for questions on the mobile client if you write it in VB.Net.

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Friday, July 13, 2018 2:59 PM
  • The current site makes use of mq series messaging to send requests for data to the mainframe.  The response back from the mainframe is a string of data.  That data is then parsed by a page on the web server and the parsed data is inserted into a MS SQL database.  The web site pages then make use of the data stored in the MQ SQL database.  I assume the new process would be send some data to the web service, the web service will send the data via mq messaging to the mainframe, the mainframe will return a string to the web service, and then the web service will return the string to the mobile application.  It would then be the mobile applications responsibility to store the data on the mobile device and present the data to the user.  Does this sound about right?

jonathan small

Friday, July 13, 2018 3:14 PM
  • The current site makes use of mq series messaging to send requests for data to the mainframe.  The response back from the mainframe is a string of data.  That data is then parsed by a page on the web server and the parsed data is inserted into a MS SQL database.  The web site pages then make use of the data stored in the MQ SQL database.  I assume the new process would be send some data to the web service, the web service will send the data via mq messaging to the mainframe, the mainframe will return a string to the web service, and then the web service will return the string to the mobile application.  It would then be the mobile applications responsibility to store the data on the mobile device and present the data to the user.  Does this sound about right?

jonathan small

Yup, that sounds about right.  Assuming of course that the desired intent is to store data locally on the mobile device, as opposed to just querying that data from the cloud every time.  In the latter case, the mobile application might just receive a "completed" message from the initial post to the web service and then follow up with a second call which queries the parsed and saved data from sql.

Friday, July 13, 2018 3:22 PM