none
Help with "Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime. Parameter name: fileTime"

Question

•  

Hello,

I have been eagerly waiting for the non-beta release of Synctoy 2.0. It is also the first Synctoy version which I have used. Unfortunately, I am getting the above error. Synctoy 2.0 is installed on a completely updated 32bit Vista PC. I am synchronizing (in echo mode) with an external SATA drive. I've synced 5 folders without a hitch. Then for some odd reason when I sync my pictures folder, I get the error. The preview and sync both stop at the same file. It is a jpg. taken in 2003 with a Canon Powershot A70 - so nothing special.

Anybody have an idea?

Here is a copy of the log if it helps:

SYNC: 08/28/2008 21:24:31:186: Started scanning directory : C:\Users\jr\Pictures\
    SYNC: 08/28/2008 21:24:31:186: Started scanning directory : G:\SyncToy\Pictures\
    SYNC: 08/28/2008 21:24:31:257: Stopped scanning directory : G:\SyncToy\Pictures\
    SYNC: 08/28/2008 21:24:34:911: Stopped scanning directory : C:\Users\jr\Pictures\
    SYNC: 08/28/2008 21:24:35:760: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    Parameter name: fileTime
       at System.DateTime.FromFileTimeUtc(Int64 fileTime)
       at System.DateTime.FromFileTime(Int64 fileTime)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.FileSyncProviderCallback.FileTimeToDateTime(FILETIME fileTime)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.FileSyncProviderCallback.OnApplyingChange(String newDirectoryPath, String currentDirectoryPath, _WIN32_FIND_DATAW newFileInfo, _WIN32_FIND_DATAW currentFileInfo, FILESYNC_CHANGE_TYPE dwChangeType)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncOrchestrator.Synchronize()
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Run(Boolean previewMode)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.Preview()
       at SyncToyUI.PreviewDialog.PreviewOnePair(SyncEngine she)
    SYNC: 08/28/2008 21:24:35:760: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.

Thanks so much in advance!

Jess

Thursday, August 28, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi -
    We would like to provide a fix asap to our users but Liam explains it here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/71f6f17a-0416-4120-85a0-1b6a1f105920 

And I pasted the respose here as well. This fix will be available only in our next release.

I wanted to jump in here and also add some clarification on top of what Deepa has stated.  Our next release of SyncToy will be based on Sync Framework v2.  Based on the EULA (End User Licesnse Agreement) of Sync Framework, we are not able to release an official public technology based on the existing CTP's (Community Technology Previews) that are currently available for Sync Framework v2.  As such, you will not see the next version of SyncToy released until after Sync Framework v2 has been released (which is not scheduled until later in this calendar year) and as Deepa mentioned above we have not yet announced an official release date for the next version of SyncToy.

I would like to appologize for any confusion on any of this.

Liam
    Program Manager, Data Replication and Synchronization - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/

Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:14 PM

All replies

• Using Windows Explorer, what does it report as the Create, Modified and Accessed times of the problem file?

Does SyncToy Preview display any time for it? Sounds like it crashes while attempting to read the filedate.

Make a safe copy of your file and park it somewhere else away from the sync folder. Open the JPG with some program, make a small edit and save it. Now does it SyncToy Preview OK? What does SyncToy and File Props say the FileTimes are?

Tom

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Hi Tom,

The file times are:

Created: Montag, 25. Februar 2008, ‏‎21:25:36

Modified: Samstag, 7. Juni 2003, ‏‎17:57:59

Accessed: Montag, 25. Februar 2008, ‏‎21:25:36

Synctoy does not display any time for it. I just get the error box, click OK, and then the Preview window closes.

By the way, I get exactly the same error at the same picture when I Run Synctoy as well. After I close the error window, Synctoy says “The Synctoy Run was stopped before it completed”

When I remove the particular file (copying temporarily in another directory) where Synctoy stops, the error occurs at a different file with a similar Create, Modify, Accessed date. When I remove the entire subfolder in which these pictures are located, the Pictures folder previews without a problem.

I performed a modification of the file as instructed, the new Modified date reading: Today, 29. August 2008, ‏‎‏‎06:10:13

Synctoy stopped at that same file again. This idea unfortunately did not help…

Jess

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:17 AM
  • Hi Jess -

We have never seen this before and the exception seems to indicate that the LastWriteTime for this file is either zero or exceeds DateTime.MaxValue which is way out in the future ( the year 9999 to be precise). To confirm - the filesystem on which these files reside is NTFS right?

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

I have also got this problem. I have recently rebuilt my machine and installed SyncToy 2.0. The files which I am backing up worked OK previously with SyncToy 1.4. I am now backing up to a different target, so I was starting from a green field situation. Having first got this error message, I deleted the file indicated, but the repeat run just found a different file.

I split the directory tree to archive all files except /My  Pictures. This ran OK even though this tree contained the file which had "failed" previously. I then tried the My Pictures directory tree and got the error message again. this time it was a directory indicated in the error message.

The log indicates that the scan of the directory tree had completed. It was the last directory scanned which was indicated in the error message.

SYNC: 09/06/2008 19:03:14:812: Scanning Directory : E:\Peter\MyDocuments\My Pictures\Pictures\Summer 06
    SYNC: 09/06/2008 19:03:16:750: Scanning Complete : 17535 Files Found, 302 Directories Found, 74757955649 Total File Size
    SYNC: 09/06/2008 19:03:16:750: Stopped scanning directory : E:\Peter\MyDocuments\My Pictures\
    SYNC: 09/06/2008 19:03:17:046: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.FileSyncProviderCallback.FileTimeToDateTime(FILETIME fileTime)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Files.FileSyncProvider.FileSyncProviderCallback.OnApplyingChange(String newDirectoryPath, String currentDirectoryPath, _WIN32_FIND_DATAW newFileInfo, _WIN32_FIND_DATAW currentFileInfo, FILESYNC_CHANGE_TYPE dwChangeType)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.CoreInterop.ISyncSession.Start(CONFLICT_RESOLUTION_POLICY resolutionPolicy, _SYNC_SESSION_STATISTICS& pSyncSessionStatistics)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWaySyncHelper(SyncIdFormatGroup sourceIdFormats, SyncIdFormatGroup destinationIdFormats, KnowledgeSyncProviderConfiguration destinationConfiguration, SyncCallbacks DestinationCallbacks, ISyncProvider sourceProxy, ISyncProvider destinationProxy, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.KnowledgeSyncOrchestrator.DoOneWayKnowledgeSync(SyncProvider sourceProvider, SyncProvider destinationProvider, Int32& changesApplied, Int32& changesFailed)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.CreateAndStartSession(FileSyncProvider destinationProvider, FileSyncProvider sourceProvider)
       at SyncToy.SyncEngine.RunSyncSessionsForChosenSyncType(FileSyncProvider leftProvider, FileSyncProvider rightProvider, SyncMode syncMode)
    SYNC: 09/06/2008 19:03:17:046: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.

Regards

Peter

Saturday, September 06, 2008 6:34 PM
  • I'm encountering the same problem.  I am syncing between my hard disk (CSmile and a Maxtor network attached drive.  Both are NTFS.

Bug??

Thanks,

Charlie

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

I have an update. By iteratively selecting subsets of the folders in the archive set, I have narrowed the problem down to one file:

IMG_0270.jpg

Created: 28 November 1617 14:07:03

Modified: 22 June 30430 06:20:12

Accessed: 04 March 2008 21:11:45

So, there was indeed an invalid file time. It is just that SyncToy was not very good at identifying the culprit.

I checked my old archive created with SyncToy 1.4 and that file had not been archived previously, so the old SyncToy was obviously getting confused by the dates, but didn't complain about it.

Jess and Charlie, I suggest that you have a good look through your files to see if you also have a corrupted date(s).

BTW the file can still be opened, so it is not lost .

Regards

Peter

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:01 AM
  • Thanks Peter - for confirming that indeed the file times are corrupted. Did you try a workaround of making a minor modification to this file and saving it with a new ( and valid ) time?

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Hi Deepa,

I have corrected the file times and SyncToy has worked O.K. now. I hope you will be able to fix SyncToy to correctly identify faulty files in future.

Regards

Peter

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:05 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Your suggestion turned out to be right on. I found just one file in that directory which had a modified date of May 3, 22272. It was a different file than the file where SyncToy appeared to stop. I removed that file from the directory and the preview worked fine. Then I modified the file slightly, put it back in the directory, and then the preview and run worked fine. The fact that SyncToy did not identify the corrupt file threw a curve at me.

Thanks for your help.

And Deepa, thanks for your involvement. Sorry I didn't respond to your earlier question (yes, NTFS), but I hadn't been online in a while. SyncToy seems to be working as it should.

Take care

Jess

Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:30 AM
  • I looked through my folders and could not identify the same problem.  I had set up 2 directories.  The first was to sync my Outlook directory which has only 9 files.  That was very easy to examine and I couldn't see any problem with any of the 3 dates.  I even looked at the Picture date (and of course there wasn't one).  And, in case you ask, yes, when I did this and also when I've used SyncToy, Outlook is not open.

My other folder is for my data files so there are several thousand.  I used Search to get a list of everything and then clicked on the date column titles to sort by those fields, presuming that an invalid date would somehow show up at the top or bottom of the list.  All I saw was valid dates. 

I'm trying to use SyncToy to "backup" files from my C drive to a Maxtor network attached storage which is connected to my router.

Any other ideas of how I might find the offending file?  Obviously, it would be nice if SyncToy would do it . . .

Thanks,

Charlie

Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Hi Charlie -

The exception other people on this forum is pretty clear about a corrupted time being found. SyncToy definitely can do a better job of identifying the file on which it fails and we will try to do this in the future. For now the only help I can offer -

1) Is your exception is identical to the one other people are reporting?

2) Are you checking the Last Modified Time on the files?

3) Are you missing any other hidden file/folder which has the corrupted time?

Thanks
    Deepa

Friday, September 12, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Hi Deepa and thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions . . .

1) yes it is the same filetime error

2) yes

3) not to my knowledge. I've been looking lately only at my directory where Outlook stores files. So there are only 10 files. I use Explorer and have displayed Date Modified, Date Created, and Date Accessed. Dates go from 2005 until a few minutes ago. They all look fine to me.

I'm stumped. I would post a screen print of the dates if I could figure out how.

Cheers, Charlie

Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

Can I make a suggestion? This is what I would do now in your position.

Create a new temporary folder in your source drive, and an equivalent temp folder in the USB drive. Create a new folder pair in SyncToy for the temp folders.

Select ~half of the files in your original folder, and move them into the temp folder. (file dates and times are unchanged, and the files do not actually move, so this is safe to do).

Preview the folder pairs individually in SyncToy. This will tell you which folder contains the bad file.

Move ~half of the files from the bad folder into the good folder (making a note of which files you move - you only need note first and last filename assuming they have been sorted in the same way in both folders) and then repeat the previews. Keep isolating the bad group of files into the temp folder.

This way you can progressively  home in on the bad file. Even with 1000's of files you can whittle them down to one very quickly.

Regards

Peter

Saturday, September 13, 2008 10:26 AM
  • Hello

I'm getting the same error message when I try to sync a folder on my PC and a folder on my iBook (mac). The iBook HD is mapped to Z:. I've been using this setup for at least a year, using SyncToy 1.4, and I've never had any problems. I did a format and downloaded SyncToy 2.0 this time and when I try to do a sync i get the following message:

SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:109: Started scanning directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:125: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:125: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:140: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Arbeidskrav
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:140: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Eksamen
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:140: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Eksamensoppgave
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:140: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Kollokvie
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:156: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Oppgaver til fredagsseminarer
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:156: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Nordiske filmskapere
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:156: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Nordiske filmskapere\Eksamen
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:171: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Studier
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:171: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Studier\Filer_for_filmvitenskap
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:171: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Studier\Filer_for_rw_index_sprog.php
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:171: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Studier\Filer_for_studieinformasjon
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:171: Scanning Directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\Videoproduksjon
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:187: Scanning Complete : 69 Files Found, 13 Directories Found, 39414353 Total File Size
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:187: Stopped scanning directory : C:\Documents and Settings\Carl W\My Documents\Skole\
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:187: Started scanning directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:203: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:203: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:203: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Arbeidskrav
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:218: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Eksamen
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:218: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Eksamensoppgave
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:218: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Kollokvie
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:234: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Medier og samfunn\Oppgaver til fredagsseminarer
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:234: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Nordiske filmskapere
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:234: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Nordiske filmskapere\Eksamen
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:250: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Studier
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:250: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Studier\Filer_for_filmvitenskap
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:250: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Studier\Filer_for_rw_index_sprog.php
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:265: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Studier\Filer_for_studieinformasjon
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:265: Scanning Directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\Videoproduksjon
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:281: Scanning Complete : 70 Files Found, 13 Directories Found, 39414353 Total File Size
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:12:281: Stopped scanning directory : Z:\Documents\Skole\
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:13:750: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
     System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
       at System.IO.Path.CheckInvalidPathChars(String path)
       at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
    SYNC: 09/14/2008 16:36:13:750: *** Exception during preview: Illegal characters in path.

What I find strange is that is says "
    Scanning Complete : 70 Files Found, 13 Directories Found". The folder contains 366 files in 57 sub folders. Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this problem?
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 2:42 PM
  • I got the same exception! It was a folder with old unused stuff, so I deleted it. But that's not a procedure for further problems.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:40 AM
  • Hi - Your exception is different from what the other people on this thread are reporting ( incorrect Win32 file times), so they have been working on isolating the offending file.

To answer your questions -

1) As to what the file and folder count is incorrect - do you have any folder exclusions ? I see you have Verbose turned on in your logging so we are printing in the log all the folders that we can see - can you figure out which folders are not there and if there is anything special?

2) Clearly there is a character somewhere in your file path that is considered an illegal character for the filesystem ( look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.path.getinvalidpathchars.aspx). I agree SyncToy should do a better job of identifying what the files are but unfortunately there is no way of doing that right now. My best answer would be trying to sync individual folders till you narrow it down the folder that has the incorrect characters and try to fix it.

Thanks
    Deepa

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Hi, I get the same error, but when I check the files, they seem to have absolutely correct file times. Created, last modified and last access are all reasonable times. at least if this tool doesn't have problems with files created in 2004. One more thing I observed: one file, which produced such an error before, doesn't do so anymore, but SyncToy needs at least one minute to decide whether to complain or not, but anyway the planned action for that file is not carried out. but that may as well correspond to another problem, that certain changes in the source folders are not implemented in the destination folders.

*edit*
    just noticed that the file date problem causes the other problem. when the file time error occures the synchronization of that folder pair is aborted. therefore no changes are applied.
    and one more thing: the file date error is rather random on my machine. there are several files that always produce that problem but others just do so from time to time.
    one more thing: the more files I exclude to prevent the error from occuring, the more files seem to get that problem. when SyncToy checks the folders A, B and C and gets an error at C and I exclude that one, next time the error shows up at B
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:48 PM
  • I keep getting this error too.  After a week of absolute failures I tried a small controlled sample, the files synced.  I then modified all the files by entering a blank space and got the same error.  I am copying to an NAS device running a Linux kernel, hoever since it did sync once it takes Linux of the table.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:34 AM
  • Hello,

I got to this page by googling for the error I'm getting with Synctoy. I'm trying to synchronize my entire My Documents folder for backupping, but I get the invalid filetime error. It seems to occur on every file created after winter time started. (one or two weeks ago?).

Any ideas? There's about 30.000 files in there. I did a search for *.* in my documents, and ordered it on the changed dates, nothing weird came up. (well, some files were appearently created in 2020, but moving them away didn't fix the problem)
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Hi,
    sorry I dont speak english very well. I had the same Problem. (win32 file time) Its very simple to fix. Synctoy 2 read the jpg for example and if the date is not correct you get the message file time error.

Go to your picture files, set the right date at the pictures and try to run Synctoy again

Frank

Monday, November 10, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Hi Frank357 and the others,
    it' s not that easy. I have the same problem, but all dates on the files look right (viewed with the explorer). Your suggestion is not good for me, because I have more than 10.000 files and I don't want to open them manually with a photoeditor.

I have an idea that somebody with Microsoft knowledge perhaps can think of:

I have about 30.000 (JPG)files that make no problem with SyncToy. They all have been saved from the SD card on this machine. Now I copied around 10.000 (JPG)files from the laptop of my wife to our fileserver (using the explorer). When I want to copy these files with SyncToy to my machine , the "Not a valid Win32 File Time" error happens already in the Preview. Always. no chance. All of these files were originally saved from the SD card by the laptop machine.
    When I look onto the 3 file dates of these files, all appear ok. I also tried to manipulate the file date with an utility (http://mitglied.lycos.de/McSquirrel/de/software/d_dda.htm) but that didn't change the behaviour of SyncToy. I assume that the SyncToy error message actually has nothing to do with the date. It is something else, that the "getfiledate" function used by SyncToy doesn't like.

Question: Who is defining the Filedate? Is it the camera while writing the JPG file on SD-Card or is it the PC while copying the JPG from SD to the Harddisk? What happens if I copy a XP JPG file via network to a Linux fileserver (using the windows explorer)? When I look at all the filedates over network using the Windows explorer, all filedates look right on all 3 media (SD, PC, Fileserver). Nevertheless SyncToy doesn't like them.

Anybody any idea?

Saturday, January 03, 2009 11:04 PM
  • I used the method outlined by WestYorkie earlier in this thread, found and isolated two files with invalid File times, deleted them, and all is well. 

It took only about 20 mins to find the two files from the 200K+ files on my server.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:46 PM
  • half a year later the problem still shows up. there seem to be no updates for this tool. is it EOS from the moment of its release?
    Sunday, March 01, 2009 2:37 PM
  • I had been using the latest build of SyncToy 2.0 since it was available however this problem only started causing me problems in the last couple of months. I collect data in the lab on an Ubuntu 8.10 laptop on a 8GB Geek Squad thumb drive which I then use Synctoy to transfer the data to my desktop running XP Pro in my office. I have tried most suggestions in this thread but the real problem is that Synctoy gives no indication as to which file(s) are bad and I cannot look through 1,000+ files.

It would be better if Synctoy provided more infomation at least in the logs as to where the problem occurred.

However, in light of Microsoft not having a fix does anyone know of a good utility that can scan a folder hierarchy and report any problems?

I am loosing too much time and productivity each time this problem re-occurs.
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Hi -
    We will try to do better reporting on which file is being problematic !

Thanks
    Deepa
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:31 PM
  • I have the same problem and can't see anything wrong with my files.
    I did notice, when the error occurs, the last file is shown at the bottom of SyncToy. (The process I did was to remove the file/s from the folder I am tring to sync and perform a preview until it is 100%)
    However the files I have removed have nothing wrong with them. Names dates and times seem correct. Files also vary, jpg, psd, xls etc.
    I would post a screen shot of the file properties if I knew how :(
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:02 PM
  • Hi -
    We will try to do better reporting on which file is being problematic !

Thanks
    Deepa
    Well, its been since March and no fix has been made available. This is pitiful. I just want to sync one folder and its taken an hour to work through all these errors. This is precisely why people are getting turned off by Windows and turning to MAC. Get with it, Microsoft. As a Microsoft stockholder, I'm disgusted by Microsoft's lack of quality and innovation.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Hi -
    We would like to provide a fix asap to our users but Liam explains it here

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/71f6f17a-0416-4120-85a0-1b6a1f105920 

And I pasted the respose here as well. This fix will be available only in our next release.

I wanted to jump in here and also add some clarification on top of what Deepa has stated.  Our next release of SyncToy will be based on Sync Framework v2.  Based on the EULA (End User Licesnse Agreement) of Sync Framework, we are not able to release an official public technology based on the existing CTP's (Community Technology Previews) that are currently available for Sync Framework v2.  As such, you will not see the next version of SyncToy released until after Sync Framework v2 has been released (which is not scheduled until later in this calendar year) and as Deepa mentioned above we have not yet announced an official release date for the next version of SyncToy.

I would like to appologize for any confusion on any of this.

Liam
    Program Manager, Data Replication and Synchronization - http://msdn.microsoft.com/sync/

Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Let me translate the above: "Microsoft is not going to fix the free version. You'll have to purchase the version that has the fix." Is that about right?

Don't worry. There's plenty of other sync and backup programs out there that DO work, many for free. I'll be using one of those.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Hi -

SyncToy is a free tool that we release on the Microsoft Sync Framework - and our current plans do not include releasing a paid version though we obviously reserve the right to change this in the future if we choose.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:19 PM
  • I'm running Windows XP Pro SP 2 on a MacBook Pro under Bootcamp and getting the same error ' Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime'. I don't know if it's helpful but here's my stack trace. How do you know what file it's crapping out on? Hey Deepa, It sure would be great if the program would simply skip files it cannot analyze & log errors & keep chugging away instead of dying. :-) Please... and thank you. Great tool when it works!

SYNC: 06/14/2009 06:24:08:561: Started scanning directory : C:\wamp\www\
    SYNC: 06/14/2009 06:24:08:561: Started scanning directory : Z:\wamp\www\
    SYNC: 06/14/2009 06:24:08:843: Stopped scanning directory : Z:\wamp\www\
    SYNC: 06/14/2009 07:09:53:983: Stopped scanning directory : C:\wamp\www\
    SYNC: 06/14/2009 07:17:14:155: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
    SYNC: 06/14/2009 07:17:14:171: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:42 PM
  • Hi -

We are working on this for our next release - both to give you more information on which file it was that failed and also to stop letting single file errors like this from killing the sync entirely !

Thanks
    Deepa
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:54 AM
  • Just started using SynchToy v2.0 on a Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop WinXPSP3 to synch a mapped network drive to an NAS.

This is going to sound goofy, and it is probably just a coincidence, but I received the "Not a valid Win32 FileTime" message and naively did a search for a file named "filetime".  I found a number of them in an old backed up "Java" folder that I didn't need to keep anyway.  I deleted it and never got the message again.

Dan
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:53 PM
  • I get the " Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime. Parameter name: fileTime" error everyone has reported. My logfile points to /my documents. I am not seeing an invalid file date modified time in the top level and you know /my documents has many files. Is there a faster way to identifying the culprit? I don't know Visual Basic.

What I am doing is ECHO my C drive data with back up Z drive. My log...

SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:04:27:671: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:04:27:671: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 8/12/2008 2:07:12 PM.
    SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:04:32:578: Started scanning directory : \\Mss-00ddee\username\My Documents\
    SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:04:32:578: Started scanning directory : C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\
    SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:06:56:250: Stopped scanning directory : C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\
    SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:07:48:984: Stopped scanning directory : \\Mss-00ddee\username\My Documents\
    SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:07:50:046: *** Exception during preview: {0} :
    SYNC: 07/17/2009 08:07:50:046: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.

Thanks for help.

Friday, July 17, 2009 1:27 PM
  • No response? I can't backup my hard drive when synctoy keeps erroring.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Hi -

Sorry the only way currently to fix this would be to exclude all folders in your folder pair and then keep reenabling them trying to figure out which folder has the file with a corrupt file time.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Hi,
    I have the same problem since a few weeks: Have been using SyncToy 2 for many months, w/ no problem.
    The name on one of my PC's (actually my company-issued MACBook Pro) had to be changed, so I created new relationships in SyncToy. Most of the synced folders run without any problem, but 2 get hung up on the above error message. The file where it stops is a completely "innocent" word file, which was synced fine before and opens without any problems. Removing it temporarily does not do anything as SyncToy only hangs up on another file, and so on....
    I even uninstalled and reinstalled SyncToy, no difference.
    The bare minimum should be to be able to skip a problem file, and of course to get an understanding of what exactly it is SyncToy does not like about it.
    HP
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 3:43 PM
  • I read a few more of the posts and tried the following: I deselected all folder/subfolders, and then selected just the top folders (no subfolders). The sync runs fine.
    Then I added in some random subfolders (I have hundreds, so I was not planning to go thru all of them). After 20 or so iterations, I seemed to have zeroed in on the offender.
    It was a folder in the 4th level down, which I have not touched since years, and which synced just fine until a month or so ago.
    Removing it resolved the jam!
    It was in a completely different place than the readout when the sync jammed indicated.
    The offending files did not have any date under "date modified", it's empty (if Win had a Mac like screen capture, I could include that here, but even copy/paste does not work here unfortunately).
    I have another sync pair that stopped syncing, I guess on the same day (but have not yet looked for the offending folder/files), so, frankly, I suspect that SyncToy might be the problem.
    Some other pairs work fine.....
    Btw, I opened the date-less files w/ notepad, and saved them back so they have a date.....that does not help, the sync hangs up again.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:15 AM
  • One more follow up: So, I tackled my 2nd, much larger folder, with more than 100 sub-folders. Just like before, I enabled more and more folders. This time, Iid not discover any problem, in other words, everything synced fine even when ALL folders were finally selected. I doubled checked this (that I had really selected all). Then I made may be a crucial mistake: I clicked "select all" and bingo, I got the dreaded error message again ("file time").
    OK, I kind of gave up and gave it another try the next evening. Now, I am getting a new error "Exception during preview: Analyzing the files has failed due to an intermittent failure Please retry the sync" - retry does not do anything of course.
    I started over with just one folder selected, just for fun, and it syncs again, albeit this time at a terribly slow pace!
    Well, I think SyncToy is just royally messed up - a nice tool conceptually, badly needed, but clearly unpredictable, with no tools to pinpoint the real problem.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:03 AM
  • Same Problem trying to copy Palm Pre:
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:02:57:937: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:02:57:953: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 8/12/2008 2:07:12 PM.
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:03:45:812: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:03:45:812: Starting SyncToy, version 2.0.100.0, built 8/12/2008 2:07:12 PM.
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:13:46:812: Started scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:13:46:812: Started scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:13:46:937: Stopped scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:13:47:734: Stopped scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:13:48:781: *** Exception during preview: {0} : 
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:13:48:796: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:14:14:265: Started scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:14:14:265: Started scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:14:14:343: Stopped scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:14:14:687: Stopped scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:14:15:421: *** Exception during preview: {0} : 
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:14:15:421: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:15:09:625: Started scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:15:09:625: Started scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:15:09:703: Stopped scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:15:10:140: Stopped scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:15:10:875: *** Exception during preview: {0} : 
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:15:10:875: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:16:37:796: Started scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:16:37:796: Started scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:16:37:859: Stopped scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:22:43:343: Started scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:22:43:343: Started scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:22:43:421: Stopped scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:32:38:843: Stopped scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:32:39:718: *** Exception during preview: {0} : 
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:32:39:718: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:34:26:953: Started scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:34:26:953: Started scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:34:27:015: Stopped scanning directory : D:\PalmPre10112009\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:44:14:328: Stopped scanning directory : K:\
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:44:15:140: *** Exception during preview: {0} : 
    SYNC: 10/11/2009 13:44:15:140: *** Exception during preview: Not a valid Win32 FileTime.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:40 PM
  • But a quick search on the Sync Framework v2 told me that is was released recently:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=89adbb1e-53ff-41b5-ba17-8e43a2e66254&displaylang=en

So we are now all looking forward for a quick release of the new synctoy based on the required framework.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:17 AM
  • But a quick search on the Sync Framework v2 told me that is was released recently:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=89adbb1e-53ff-41b5-ba17-8e43a2e66254&displaylang=en

So we are now all looking forward for a quick release of the new synctoy based on the required framework.

BUMP :)

Any news?
    -- Nigel M
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I downloaded the new version here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en and it fixed all my issues with this error.
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Still got several occurrences of this error, using the latest 2.1 x64 version.

The filetimes seems ok in explorer (juni = June in norwegian)

Created: 11 juni 2012, 15:31

Modified: 11. juni 2012, 14:55

Accessed: 11. juni 2012, 15:31

Any ideas?

Monday, June 11, 2012 1:41 PM
  • No news on this forum, but I found a fix, see here - post by ISDigital Thursday, March 03, 2011 2:53 PM

For what it is worth, the files were all from the backup of my TomTom (GRRR!)

-- Nigel M

• Edited by Nigel M Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:43 PM