Does WHS2011 support automatic duplication of shared folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Aplogies to the helpers: I expect that this has been asked before but since there is no longer any effective way to search the forum, I'm starting a new thread.

Does WHS2011 support the automatic duplication/mirroring of shared folders?  We have a very large collection of photographs and documents that are stored on the server for easy access by all the clients.  In WHS, these folders are automatically duplicated on a secondary disk so we never have to worry about backing them up elsewhere.    Will WHS2011 still do that?  

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:46 PM

Answers

• No, duplication went away with Drive Extender so you will need to back up your data by other means.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:03 PM

All replies

• No, duplication went away with Drive Extender so you will need to back up your data by other means.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Ken Warren Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:04 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Actually, searching still works after a fashion. If you wait a few seconds after you see the "no results" page, you'll be redirected to a bing equivalent. That generally returns accurate results (arguably better than the results you would see from the built-in search).

As for backups, the most robust answer to protecting your data has always been backing your data up to external storage and taking that off-site. Anything stored in the same location as your server will be lost to many of the same events that might destroy your server, such as fire, flood, and theft. Nothing has changed there. Duplication is the equivalent of RAID 1, and (while better than no protection at all) RAID isn't a data protection technology, it's a high availability technology.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Does WHS2011 support the automatic duplication/mirroring of shared folders?

Thanks.

If you want some kind of duplication, you can use mirroring for your data drives. Here is an article describing how to do it. I didn't tried it myself, so use that at your own risk. Make backup...

Claude

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Actually, searching still works after a fashion. If you wait a few seconds after you see the "no results" page, you'll be redirected to a bing equivalent. That generally returns accurate results (arguably better than the results you would see from the built-in search).

So...have you tried searching this forum today?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:30 PM
  • As for backups, the most robust answer to protecting your data has always been backing your data up to external storage and taking that off-site. Anything stored in the same location as your server will be lost to many of the same events that might destroy your server, such as fire, flood, and theft. Nothing has changed there. Duplication is the equivalent of RAID 1, and (while better than no protection at all) RAID isn't a data protection technology, it's a high availability technology

Well off-site storage of a backup drive is not going to happen.  The attraction of the duplication on the server was protection from hardware failure.   Telling home users that they are obligated to manually backup what's on the "automatic" backup server is pretty much a non-starter.   We might as well ditch WHS and look at one of those cloud backup services.  I think we're going to limp along with the original WHS for a while longer.
    • Edited by Athena.. _ Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:37 PM
  • I know that was a rhetorical question, but...

Yes. The initial built-in search failed, after 10 seconds or so it redirected to the Bing equivalent, I got the post I needed to answer someone's question, I posted an answer.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:22 AM
  • Plug in a backup drive, use server backup, never take the drive off-site. You have a better level of protection than with Windows Home Server V1, because if your server fails, you can restore the entire (running) server, not just the shares. This is good up to 2 TB total data to back up. Above that, you have to roll your own, but Microsoft assures us that almost no home users have that much data. (Was the sarcasm too thick on that? I'm a professional portrait photographer and I don't have that much data, so I believe it's a small minority that does, but I'm not fond of that mindset...)

Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:29 AM
  • No, it was not at all rhetorical.  If you got anything even remotely relevant,  you are using a different access to the forums than we mortals are. 

When I type a search request into the box labeled "Search Windows Home Server 2011 Forum", I get a page ("brought to me by Bing") with 143,000 hits from all over the Microsoft domain.  I click the "Communities" filter and that reduces the hit list to 15,600 -- not one of which (on the first few pages at least)  is from this forum or in any way whatsoever useful.   I suppose that might be considered an improvement over this morning when the same search returned 600,000 and 51,000.   but it certainly does not conform to my own idea of "working" in any fashion at all.

This BTW, is different from what was happening a couple of days ago -- which, unlike you, I thought was awful but at least sort of usable.  What we get now is completely unacceptable.

• Edited by Athena.. _ Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:32 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:26 AM
  • When we were originally introduced to WHS, it was supposed to be a black box, automatic solution for home users.   Having to set up a manual process to backup the shares is antithetical to that philosopy.  I actually don't care about the backups, the clients are the backup to themsince the likelihood that both the clients and the server will be affected at the same time is pretty small.

Is there a WHS 3.0 in the works?

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:31 AM
  • No, it was not at all rhetorical.  If you got anything even remotely relevant,  you are using a different access to the forums than we mortals are. 

When I type a search request into the box labeled "Search Windows Home Server 2011 Forum", I get a page ("brought to me by Bing") with 143,000 hits from all over the Microsoft domain.  I click the "Communities" filter and that reduces the hit list to 15,600 -- not one of which (on the first few pages at least)  is from this forum or in any way whatsoever useful.   I suppose that might be considered an improvement over this morning when the same search returned 600,000 and 51,000.   but it certainly does not conform to my own idea of "working" in any fashion at all.

This BTW, is different from what was happening a couple of days ago -- which, unlike you, I thought was awful but at least sort of usable.  What we get now is completely unacceptable.

Just searched for "folder duplication" on the WHS2011 forum and received six relevant results!

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:40 AM
  • I just re-ran my same search and got the same results.

I tried a completely different search and got 543 hits -- the first pages of which seem to come from this forum so I really don't know what is going on.    I don't think it's good though.   When I search a venue, I expect results from that venue.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:53 AM
  • OT

Ken Warren wrote.
    Quote:  Actually, searching still works after a fashion. If you wait a few seconds after you see the "no results" page, you'll be redirected to a bing equivalent. That generally returns accurate results (arguably better than the results you would see from the built-in search.  End Quote

But Bing always displays in Korean for me (I am in Korea).  I have set it for US English, but it always reverts back to Korean on the next instance. OTOH, the Googlle setting will stick.  However, this is mostly moot as I use the Codeplex NNTP Bridge for viewing the forums, but on occasion, I will go to the Web Forum to edit or delete a post and do a rare search.  Bing is not my default search provider, so I haven't placed a high priority on finding the problem.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:21 AM
  • If you want some kind of duplication, you can use mirroring for your data drives. Here is an article describing how to do it.

This looks very interesting.  While researching the feature, I found this article too.  If I can partition my disks and mirror the logical drive, there may indeed be a WHS 2011 in my near future.

Thank you for the reference.

Friday, April 13, 2012 11:27 PM