none
Were there changes to the forum software yesterday (Fri 23 Aug 2013)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Up until yesterday, all was OK here with the forum. But starting yesterday (or late Thursday), when I view a post using the Last Reply link, it seems that all the contents are loaded as normal, but then I (mostly) get a long wait before it decides to navigate to the Last Reply post.

I am not talking about particularly long threads, but even with only a handful of posts this effect is happening.

It is not *every* time, but most of the time. I can interrupt it by just scrolling down and get to the last post manually. When I do this, I could be reading through the post and suddenly, the forum wakes up and drops me back to the top of the Last reply post (the one I am in the midst of reading).

I think something has been changed, as while using the forum yesterday (or late Thursday I can't remember exactly), and during reading/posting several posts in a thread, the forum noticeably started these abnormal delays.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Saturday, August 24, 2013 2:40 PM

Answers

• Well, I just learned something new. I never before thought to the click the blue link for "Last reply". Especially nice when the thread has many replies (except for the delay you describe).

I see no announcements for any updates. The last was dated July 30. However, in the last few weeks I have experienced noticeable delays. When I open a thread (or a page of threads) it looks like it has loaded and I have control, but I must wait before I can scroll. The page seems locked for awhile. Similar happens when I click "Back" to return form a thread. There is a pause after the page loads before it jumps to where I was previously, and during the pause it ignores me (if I attempt to scroll). This sounds like what you describe, but I believe I have experienced it for longer.

I have no explanation, except perhaps server delays.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

I'm getting the same delays before I can scroll. I'll submit a bug request.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:19 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Well, I just learned something new. I never before thought to the click the blue link for "Last reply". Especially nice when the thread has many replies (except for the delay you describe).

I see no announcements for any updates. The last was dated July 30. However, in the last few weeks I have experienced noticeable delays. When I open a thread (or a page of threads) it looks like it has loaded and I have control, but I must wait before I can scroll. The page seems locked for awhile. Similar happens when I click "Back" to return form a thread. There is a pause after the page loads before it jumps to where I was previously, and during the pause it ignores me (if I attempt to scroll). This sounds like what you describe, but I believe I have experienced it for longer.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Thanks Richard. Seems odd to me that it has just suddenly started to act like this. Sound, as you say, a similar issue to yours.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Saturday, August 24, 2013 7:39 PM

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:19 PM
    Owner

Thanks!

I'm seeing a remarkable improvement.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:32 PM
    Owner