Windows XP Coa from Gateway but no Disk. Business PC. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.. I'm the second owner of a Gateway PC.  Originally owned by a government organization and the original HD has been removed.  It still has the original COA for Windows XP Professional on the case.

I have requested the recovery disks from Gateway (Now MPC for their professional division) but I am told by MPC that they cannot help me because I am not the original owner of the computer.  From what I'v read.  The Windows XP license is transferable once to another end user.  I will be the second end user of this PC.

Now their other excuse was the warranty is only valid for the first owner of the pc and the warranty is no longer valid, so they cannot offer assistance.  Aren't they still responsible for providing support for Windows XP?  I understand I can't have support on my gateway hardware but I would like my support disks from MPC.  From what I understand, the reason these companies get a discounted version is because a.  they have to provide support. b. they purchase many copies..

Is this legal for a company to distribute windows xp on their PC's and not offer support for it?  I know with the OEM System Builders edition, it specificlly says the system builder is responsible for providing support.

I don't get it.  I am going to spend money with this company to purchase a replacement CD and they are not willing to let me spend money with them.  What's wrong with these people?  

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:55 PM

Answers

• The computer was used and did not even come with a hard drive?  Did you ask Gateway to send you a hard drive also?

A valid license transfer only exists if you actually receive the Windows COA, the PC manufacturer's Windows recovery media, and printed licensing documentation from the original owner.  Since you only have the COA, the license transfer was improper to begin with. So you essentially ended up buying a used computer "as is" with no valid Windows licensing. 

• Marked as answer by JeniferA Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:35 PM