No client can connect to my WHS, but the fileshare still works from all clients RRS feed

• Question

• Sudderly one day all my clients can NOT connect to my HP MediaSmart Server EX470 WHS, but the fileshare on the WHS still works from all clients. Remote desktop can't connect either. I have tried clients on Vista 64, XP 32 bit and Windoes 7 Beta and RC1 32 bit and also uppgradede my router a DLink DIR 655 with the lates firmware. I also tried to reinstall the connector software from the Software share om the homeserver.

I also sometime see some alert from the Home Server Connector on startup and login, complaining about McAfee files on the Home Server being out of date. Can McAfee lock the clients out? Is there an alternative way to connect to the homeserver that is alive but has a red LED on the front, the first from the right.

When I run the "TalQ Windows Home Server Diagnostic Utility" from my client, it logs the following:

Event Log data
    ---------------------------------------------------

Application Log messages
     2009-07-05 13:51:52 The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.
     2009-07-05 13:51:50 The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.

2009-07-05 13:51:44 Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer WHS-SERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.
     2009-07-05 13:51:23 Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.
     2009-07-05 13:51:23 The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.

Service Control Manager messages
    \tNo events found

Machine startup/shutdown
    \tNo events found

Windows Update events
    \tNo events found

Errors in System
     2009-07-05 13:47:23 The description for Event ID '-1073734790' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '3'
     2009-07-05 13:47:23 The description for Event ID '-1073734800' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '%%-2147213051'
     2009-07-05 13:47:22 The description for Event ID '-1073734813' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'30000', ''
     2009-07-05 13:46:52 The description for Event ID '-1073734793' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '2', '30000', '1', 'Restart the service'
     2009-07-05 13:46:52 The description for Event ID '-1073734800' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '%%-2147213051'
     2009-07-05 13:46:50 The description for Event ID '-1073734813' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'30000', ''
     2009-07-05 13:46:20 The description for Event ID '-1073734793' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '1', '30000', '1', 'Restart the service'

Sten W
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:34 AM

Answers

• The solid red health indicator light is documented as indicating an operating system failure.

Have you contacted HP about the issue you're having? If not, you may want to do so, especially if your server is still under warranty. Very likely, though, they will tell you to do a server recovery (don't choose to do a factory reset, as you will wipe/reformat all the drives connected to your server) as one of the first problem resolution steps. You'll find instructions for doing so in your product documentation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Sten Walde Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:54 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:15 PM
  • The solid red health indicator light is documented as indicating an operating system failure.
    Could also be clients ot backed up for some time or some other issue.

You could try connecting to your WHS using remote desktop:

On client:

1. Start, Run, Type mstsc.exe, Hit Enter
    2. Computername is name of your homeserver, User is Administrator, password is the password you use to connect to the console.

If you can get to the server desktop this I would start with a reboot. If this doesn't work you can euither start with advanced trouble shooting (if you know your way around) or alternatively do a server recovery using the HP recovery disk (run from client)

Friday, July 10, 2009 9:32 PM
  • If you execute the server recovery procedure as documented in the manual, I would say that it's safe, yes. I've done it several times, including doing it with external drives, a full storage pool, etc., and I have never lost data. I have always had a backup of my shares available if anything did happen to go wrong however.

So go buy that external drive array. You have two excellent reasons for doing so. :) I would recommend configuring it as JBOD for the backup however (assuming you can do so). By default I believe it's configured as a stripe set (RAID 0) which is undesirable for the purpose of backing up data.
    • Marked as answer by Sten Walde Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:53 PM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:22 PM

All replies

• Sudderly one day all my clients can NOT connect to my HP MediaSmart Server EX470 WHS, but the fileshare on the WHS still works from all clients. Remote desktop can't connect either. I have tried clients on Vista 64, XP 32 bit and Windoes 7 Beta and RC1 32 bit and also uppgradede my router a DLink DIR 655 with the lates firmware. I also tried to reinstall the connector software from the Software share om the homeserver.

I also sometime see some alert from the Home Server Connector on startup and login, complaining about McAfee files on the Home Server being out of date. Can McAfee lock the clients out? Is there an alternative way to connect to the homeserver that is alive but has a red LED on the front, the first from the right.

When I run the "TalQ Windows Home Server Diagnostic Utility" from my client, it logs the following:

Event Log data
    ---------------------------------------------------

Application Log messages
     2009-07-05 13:51:52 The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.
     2009-07-05 13:51:50 The Windows Home Server Connector service stopped succesfully.

2009-07-05 13:51:44 Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer WHS-SERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.
     2009-07-05 13:51:23 Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.
     2009-07-05 13:51:23 The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.

Service Control Manager messages
    \tNo events found

Machine startup/shutdown
    \tNo events found

Windows Update events
    \tNo events found

Errors in System
     2009-07-05 13:47:23 The description for Event ID '-1073734790' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '3'
     2009-07-05 13:47:23 The description for Event ID '-1073734800' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '%%-2147213051'
     2009-07-05 13:47:22 The description for Event ID '-1073734813' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'30000', ''
     2009-07-05 13:46:52 The description for Event ID '-1073734793' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '2', '30000', '1', 'Restart the service'
     2009-07-05 13:46:52 The description for Event ID '-1073734800' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '%%-2147213051'
     2009-07-05 13:46:50 The description for Event ID '-1073734813' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'30000', ''
     2009-07-05 13:46:20 The description for Event ID '-1073734793' in Source 'Service Control Manager' cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:'Windows Search', '1', '30000', '1', 'Restart the service'

Sten W

Can you successfully ping your server, both by name and by IP address?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Hi Sten,
    did you already reboot the server?
    Have you installed any application or Add-In, before this issue started to happen?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Yes I can and as I said, the file share works.

Sten W
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Not resently but I have removed WHS OutLook.

Sten W

Friday, July 10, 2009 7:49 PM

Have you contacted HP about the issue you're having? If not, you may want to do so, especially if your server is still under warranty. Very likely, though, they will tell you to do a server recovery (don't choose to do a factory reset, as you will wipe/reformat all the drives connected to your server) as one of the first problem resolution steps. You'll find instructions for doing so in your product documentation.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:15 PM
    Could also be clients ot backed up for some time or some other issue.

You could try connecting to your WHS using remote desktop:

On client:

1. Start, Run, Type mstsc.exe, Hit Enter
    2. Computername is name of your homeserver, User is Administrator, password is the password you use to connect to the console.

If you can get to the server desktop this I would start with a reboot. If this doesn't work you can euither start with advanced trouble shooting (if you know your way around) or alternatively do a server recovery using the HP recovery disk (run from client)

Friday, July 10, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Advanced trouble shooting? Is that the WHS Toolkit, in that case I've tried that, nothing seems to be wrong when I run that but still I have the solid red health indicator light.

Is it 100% safe to run the HP Server Recovery CD in Recovery mode?

Otherwise, since the shares still works, I thinking of investing in a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II 4TB ... e-SATA to back up the server first, I need it anyway for local video storage to my video editing workstation.

Sten W
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:34 AM
  • If you execute the server recovery procedure as documented in the manual, I would say that it's safe, yes. I've done it several times, including doing it with external drives, a full storage pool, etc., and I have never lost data. I have always had a backup of my shares available if anything did happen to go wrong however.

So go buy that external drive array. You have two excellent reasons for doing so. :) I would recommend configuring it as JBOD for the backup however (assuming you can do so). By default I believe it's configured as a stripe set (RAID 0) which is undesirable for the purpose of backing up data.
    • Marked as answer by Sten Walde Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:53 PM
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Thank you all for all your advice. By now I also found my Server Recovery CD version 1.1, HP Models EX470/EX475 and all the documentation for it.
    Sten W
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 5:53 PM