MS Money (UK Version) won't stay open after upgrade to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I was running MS Money 2004 (UK Version) under Vista on my Mac under a VM and it worked fine.  I upgraded to Windows 7 (32 Bit Version) and everything worked fine, except for Money.  When I click on it, it opens, the splash screen appears very quickly the the program shuts down.  I've tried running it as administrator, but it makes no difference.  I was advised to uninstall it and install Money 2005, but the same thing keeps happening.

Can anybody help please?

Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:38 PM

All replies

• Uninstall Money 2005. Install Money 2004.

Make sure your *.mny file is not within the ProgramFiles folder. The Documents folder is a good place. If you have a recent *.m12 file, copy that to a *.mny name in your Documents folder and open that folder. If you have only an old *.m12 file and no recent one, that could be bad news.

Open Money 2004 by right-clicking on the Money launch icon, and choose RunAsAdmininistrator. Let us know what happens.

Let us know how far you get.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Many thanks for your swift reply!

Unfortunately, I no longer have the 2004 disk as when I got the 2005 version I thought I would have no need of it anymore.

I was getting the same problem with 2004 as I do with 2005 - it opening briefly and then shutting down.

My *.mny file is in the Documents folder - I don't appear to have a .m12 file anywhere.

I've tried running it as an adminstrator but it still just shuts down immediately after the splash screen.  This only started after upgrading to Windows 7.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:23 PM
  • If you solved the crashing, you would still have a problem. You could try creating a new administrative user, and see if you can open Money as that user. Maybe that will solve the initial crash. But even if that were to work, you have the problem of dealing with trying to upgrade 2005. Many, if not most, people who thought they were running UK Money 2004 are really running Money 2005.

The person who advised you to uninstall Money 2004 and install Money 2005 did not help the situation if you were actually running Money 2004.  Sorry I don't have anything better for you.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Sorry I don't have anything better for you.

...unless you know someone who has a working version of M2005.  If you do, I'm sure Cal would be able to help you.
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:30 AM
  • I've now got hold of a copy of 2004 - same problem under Windows 7.  Both 2004 and 2005 are closing immediately after opening under Windows 7 - although both seem to work fine under Vista when I tried them at the office.  Unfortunately, I need it for my personal accounts so the easiest solution (of using the office PC) won't work.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 2:01 PM
  • You say that Money is closing immediately after opening ... is this when trying to open an *EXISTING* money file ?

If so, rename that file with a "OLD" prefix and then run Money again. You should then get a dialog box saying it can't find

the file. If you OK that you'll get another dialog box asking whether you wish to open an existing file or create a new one.

Create a new one (call it test or something like that) and place it in a folder that is *NOT* the Money Program Files folder.

Then see if a Money file gets created and you can open it and at least create one dummy account. This will test the basic functionality of the product. At this point you may also like to confirm which level of Money you're running.

Monday, June 13, 2011 6:18 PM
  • You say that Money is closing immediately after opening ... is this when trying to open an *EXISTING* money file ?

If so, rename that file with a "OLD" prefix and then run Money again. You should then get a dialog box saying it can't find

the file. If you OK that you'll get another dialog box asking whether you wish to open an existing file or create a new one.

Create a new one (call it test or something like that) and place it in a folder that is *NOT* the Money Program Files folder.

Then see if a Money file gets created and you can open it and at least create one dummy account. This will test the basic functionality of the product. At this point you may also like to confirm which level of Money you're running.

Thanks Ashley - tried that but it is still shutting down seconds after opening.  I have tried with 2004 and with 2005.  The latest was version 7.4 - it will let me see the 'About' screen but that is all.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Version 7.4 ???!!! 

You could try an uninstall, then check the Money Program Files folder and if there's anything left there delete it and then do a clean install.

I've done a few Money 2005 installs on Windows 7 Professional and it's always installed cleanly and worked first time. Never seen it unable to even start the new file dialog. 

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:02 PM
  • You may have a hardware problem. Do the following in the order listed.

1. Check your RAM with Memtest http://www.memtest.org/
    2. Check your hard disk with its manufacturer's diagnostic utility
    3. If you find no problems with RAM or disk, open a command prompt with administrative privileges and run sfc /scannow.

No problems with RAM or disk, and scannow returns a message saying Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Have also uninstalled (including going through the Registry) and reinstalled but still getting the same problem. Have tried the same disk under XP and under Vista and it runs fine.  I did wonder if it was because it was on a VM but 2004 ran fine under Vista on the VM but not under Win 7 on the VM.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Have you tried looking in the Event Log, most likely the application subset, for any errors being logged ?

It sounds like the program fails during initialisation as you don't even get a chance to select a Money file.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:47 AM
  • On a wider point, if you're running Windows in a VM on a Mac then do you *REALLY* need to change the Windows OS ?

I assume your main applications are on the Mac and are using the Windows guest just for certain (legacy) applications. If so, why not stay with Vista or XP (my preference would be XP) ? Support for XP goes on until April 2014 and then you can just run it unsupported.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Many thanks,

Tried the Event Log but there doesn't appear to be anything significant.  I just tried to open it again, it closed itself (on initialisation as you say) but nothing has appeared in the Event Log.

I only had a trial copy of Vista so have bought Windows 7.  If I had known the problem I would have, I would have just got Vista!  Money and Sage are the only programs I need to run under Windows.

If i could just stop Money crashing, it would be perfect.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:17 PM
  • OK, here's a set of ideas but I readily admit it's a lot of messing around. I'm sure your UK Money version is installed badly for some unknown reason.

On the Windows 7 system uninstall Money and remove all traces of that version. Download and install the (US) Sunset version of Money which can be found here,

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=20738 

Start up Money Sunset and see if you can at least create a test file with a dummy account and can change the currency setting to UK pounds. If so, you may as well stick with that version and convert your existing Money file to it. This will require you going back to a working version of Money on a Vista machine and doing an export (in loose QIF format) of all your accounts. There are detailed instructions on how to do that either in this forum or on http://money.mvps.org/  Basically you need to export all your accounts, including the cash portions of investment accounts.

Once you've exported all your accounts take those QIF files and copy them to your Windows 7 VM. Once copied, start up Money Sunset and import all the files. Spend a bit of time checking all the accounts and you should be done. Hopefully after all this you should have a woking Money system on Windows 7, albeit using the US version of Money. There should be no difference with using that version apart from the Tax Line Manager function isn't there. However, if you need tax reports you can always set them up manually yourself. 

Good luck.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:32 AM
  • I have solved it!

It is do with Parallels Tools not upgrading the folder path when Windows 7 is upgraded from Vista.  I noticed this when another Third Party Software (Sage) started exhibiting the same symptoms.  Basically, you have to remove and reinstall Parallel Tools (even though it says Parallels 4 and 5) it actually works for 6.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/6885

Annoyingly, it wasn't really to do with Money but I am glad to report Money seems to be working now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Duncan

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:46 PM