How can I find specific backed-up files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have OneCare set to backup everything in my "My Documents" folder. I know it has backed up certain files that I want to restore but I can't find the files using OneCare. I've tried searching by file name as well as by the extension (*.wav, for example).

How can I find the files I want to restore?

I've tried this:
    Open OneCare, under "Backup and Restore", click "Restore files".
    Click "Custom Restore"
    Click "Restore files from the current backup on this system" (Yes, the files should be there).
    Click "Search for files to restore".
    Type all or part of the name in the box and click "Next"

Files display but the ones I want do not display.

The files are in a subfolder within "My Documents"; could this be the problem and if so, how do I access the subfolder in question?

Thanks for any help with this.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:13 PM

Answers

• Hello Grace444, create a new folder on your Desktop and use it as the restore destination. After restoring the files to the folder you can open the folder and drag and drop or copy and paste only the files you need to the locations you want then delete the folder from your Desktop.  
    Jim
    • Marked as answer by Grace444 Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:05 PM
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Hello Grace444, when restoring the files choose the documents folder and restore it to a folder on your desktop. You should then be able to browse the entire contents of the documents and sub-folders that were backed up.
    Jim
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:22 PM

All replies

• Hello Grace444, when restoring the files choose the documents folder and restore it to a folder on your desktop. You should then be able to browse the entire contents of the documents and sub-folders that were backed up.
    Jim
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Thanks, Jim.  Do I need to rename the backed up "My Documents" folder before restoring it? I don't want the older versions of the most of the backup copies of files to overwrite the newer versions. 

The files I want to restore/retrieve are files that I removed from my computer (to save space). I thought I would not need them again but it turns out that I do.

Grace
    • Edited by Grace444 Saturday, January 3, 2009 11:30 PM msg was incomplete
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Hello Grace444, create a new folder on your Desktop and use it as the restore destination. After restoring the files to the folder you can open the folder and drag and drop or copy and paste only the files you need to the locations you want then delete the folder from your Desktop.  
    Jim
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 12:47 AM