Changing servers RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using a home made WHS server and I just got a new Media smart Server from HP.  I would like to know if I can move the backups from my server to the MSS and use it that way. 

If I can't then what is needed to switch to the new one?  Do I need to uninstall the Home Server Connect software from each computer and take the server off line and then start from scratch as if there was no server on it?  If anyone has or knows of detailed instructions on how to do this please let me know.

Thanks Tom

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:43 PM

All replies

• While it's possible to back up and restore the backups using the procedures laid out in the Home Computer Backup technical brief, that doesn't automatically connect the computers to a different server. In theory, though, you should be able to back up and restore the database once you've taken your server through the OOBE process. You will need to do so using a Remote Desktop connection to your server; it doesn't have a video connector.

You should remove and reinstall the connector software from your client PCs to make sure that the version of the connector on them matches the version on your new home server. When you install the new connector on your first client PC, you'll be able to take the server through the OOBE experience.
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I'm about to purchase new WHS server hardware to replace my existing WHS (as you're aware from my thread, Ken). I'm not particularly interested in salvaging the Client PC backups that are on my existing WHS, but I *do* want to copy all of the rest of the content from my existing WHS to my new WHS. I figure I'd need to use a client PC to do the copying. Are there documented steps to do this?
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 9:02 PM
  • There are two ways to copy from old to new.

First, you can shuffle drives. That's irritating (at best): remove a drive from the old server and install it in the new (don't add it to the storage pool!), copy everything you find under <driveletter>:\DE\Shares to the new server, remove the drive. Later, rinse, repeat.

Second, you can copy share to share: log in to one or the other server and copy from share X on the old server to share X on the new server. This is less irritating, but requires a fairly reliable network. You can also use a tool such as robocopy (stands for ROBUst file COPY, and no the acronym doesn't work Smile ) which has the ability to deal with network hiccups, though you'll have to learn it's command line options to get maximum reliability out of it.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:19 PM
  • That makes sense, Ken; thanks! I plan to go with the copy share-to-share method. I wasn't sure if the connector on my Client PC would have any issues with their being two WHSs on the network. I am very familiar with ROBOCOPY.

Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:32 PM
  • cgwaters, you should be careful using robocopy in restartable/reliable copy mode. I suspect that it can run afoul of the file corruption issue that has delayed Power Pack 1 for so long. I've used robocopy that way, but I've been careful to only do it since Power Pack 1 had the patch for that issue included.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 1:35 AM