none
Resource Usage / Capacity Planning Report/View RRS feed

• Question

• In MS Project (Project Web Access) on premise, there was a "Resource Usage" Report/View - this does not appear to exist in Project Online?  If it does, I would like to know where to access it.  Again, this is the PWA report, not the tool in Project Professional.

Also, in Project Online, it looks like Resource Usage was replaced with Capacity Planning.  However, no matter how I run a Capacity Planning report, it only returns one user, with 0 hours and no Projects listed.  It appears that the AD resource accounts are not communicating, however, everything else I use in Project Online with AD Resources works, including other reports.  Any reason when I run Capacity Planning, it is not picking up projects users are assigned to, or their hours?

Sunday, October 11, 2020 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

Yes it would be the first step (checking the reporting timephased calculation option). Note that you can configure this setting directly from PWA if you are PWA admin, you do not need to access O365 admin by a system admin.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, October 12, 2020 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Which version of Project Server are you refering to?

Where exactly did you used to go in Project Server on premise to have this resource usage report? Normally if you talk about the resource center, you should have the same features.

For the capacity calculation, you first have to enable the reporting granularity setting, in PWA Server settings/Reporting. Note that projects need to be republished after setting up this configuration.

Hope this helps,

Monday, October 12, 2020 5:54 AM
  • Hi Guillaume

The "Resource Usage" report was in Project 2007 - 2016 (with 2016 being the last "On Premise" version we had).  We are now using Project Online, accessing remote servers (we are now Office 365).  When we converted to Project Online, the report was no longer available, and looks to be replaced with "Capacity Planning", but still does not appear to work correctly (possibly because of permissions or connection from Project/AD Accounts to PWA?)

On Premise, the report was on the Project Web Access (PWA) Resource ribbon...on the ribbon now it has "Resource Assignments - Capacity Planning - Resource Requests", where on Premise had "Resource Assignments - Resource Usage" options

Since we now have a Corporate Admin, I will run your recommendations by him and see what he says.  

Thank you for the advice - maybe this is all that needs to happen.  That is one short coming with the servers no longer on premise, as we cannot confirm the setup and connections are correct.

Monday, October 12, 2020 10:14 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes it would be the first step (checking the reporting timephased calculation option). Note that you can configure this setting directly from PWA if you are PWA admin, you do not need to access O365 admin by a system admin.

Hope this helps,

Monday, October 12, 2020 11:06 AM