Validating issue - removing Avast - cannot get to control panel RRS feed

• Question

• Switched my pc on this morning to find a message about an unauthorised change to Windows. I found this thread by accident, and the sticky seems to hold the key to my problem.

My current problem is that I have no access to control panel (or anything else).  How can I uninstall Avast?

When I log on my only option is to click on "find out more online" or "close".  Clicking "close" takes me back to login and then on to the same message about change to Windows.  Clicking "find out more.." takes me to a screen with a message "validation in process...".  It says it may take a few minutes.  After an hour or so, it reboots and takes me back to login.  I can't find a way to break out of the cycle.  I can get internet access by clicking "find out more", but that is about all I can do.

In case it isn't obvious - I have no technical expertise at all - having no access to Windows leaves me standing still.

I would appreciate it if somebody could explain (in painful detail) how to uninstall Avast and get Windows working again taking into account the fact that I can't get to the control panel and am pretty clueless about anything beyond basic computer functions using Windows.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 10:57 AM

Answers

• "elainecurrie" wrote in message news:a21c145d-988d-49e4-b883-9d6126ce077c...

Switched my pc on this morning to find a message about an unauthorised change to Windows. I found this thread by accident, and the sticky seems to hold the key to my problem.

My current problem is that I have no access to control panel (or anything else).  How can I uninstall Avast?

When I log on my only option is to click on "find out more online" or "close".  Clicking "close" takes me back to login and then on to the same message about change to Windows.  Clicking "find out more.." takes me to a screen with a message "validation in process...".  It says it may take a few minutes.  After an hour or so, it reboots and takes me back to login.  I can't find a way to break out of the cycle.  I can get internet access by clicking "find out more", but that is about all I can do.

In case it isn't obvious - I have no technical expertise at all - having no access to Windows leaves me standing still.

I would appreciate it if somebody could explain (in painful detail) how to uninstall Avast and get Windows working again taking into account the fact that I can't get to the control panel and am pretty clueless about anything beyond basic computer functions using Windows.

Try booting to Safe Mode, and uninstalling Avast from there - since it doesn't use the Windows Installer, it should work.
    To boot to Safe Mode:
    Shut down the PC
    Switch it on, then start tapping the F8 key about twice per second  - you should eventually be offered the Advance Boot Menu.
    Select Safe Mode from the list of options using your cursor(arrow) keys, and hit the Enter key

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Thank you so much. 

Avast gone, AVG now in place, and everything looks as it should.

Never thought I'd be so happy to see my desktop.

Elaine Currie
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:59 PM

All replies

• "elainecurrie" wrote in message news:a21c145d-988d-49e4-b883-9d6126ce077c...

Switched my pc on this morning to find a message about an unauthorised change to Windows. I found this thread by accident, and the sticky seems to hold the key to my problem.

Try booting to Safe Mode, and uninstalling Avast from there - since it doesn't use the Windows Installer, it should work.
    To boot to Safe Mode:
    Shut down the PC
    Switch it on, then start tapping the F8 key about twice per second  - you should eventually be offered the Advance Boot Menu.
    Select Safe Mode from the list of options using your cursor(arrow) keys, and hit the Enter key

--

Saturday, May 28, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Thank you so much. 

Elaine Currie
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 2:59 PM
  • "elainecurrie" wrote in message news:20f2c984-ef29-4924-a1e5-cac0f8b8c746...

Thank you so much. 

Elaine Currie

Heh! I know what you mean!
    Is the Control Panel working as it should?
    Please post an MGADiag report, so that we can check that all is now well.

Good Luck

--

Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:03 PM
  •   Not having access to the Control Panel is one of the "Feature" of Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM) which occurs when Vista is in a Non-Genuine state.  RFM was fully removed from Vista in Service Pack 2.

I recommend updating your Vista to Service Pack 2 since aside from the removal of RFM, it also adds many other benefits (security fixes and such).

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, May 30, 2011 5:59 PM