Think I have virus: One Care Doesn't think so. RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday, I discovered I couldn't start Windows XP, because there was a corrupt config file.  I had to do some gymnastics to get Windows going again.  Don't really remember exactly.  Bootfix, I guess it was.

Anyway, after I got things going again, I happened to find a strange Windows Notebook file, located in my Documents and Settings Folder, under my user folder.  It was a 362 MB text file named "AMixer."  I attempted to rename it, and another 1 kb file with the same name was created instantly.  Between going to bed last night and this morning, the file has grown to a couple hundred KBs.  There is also a file in my system 32 folder with this name.  And there is an unfamiliar text file called "reset" in my Documents and Settings folder. 

One Care finds nothing.

What should I do next? 

More info:  I opened the file, and it says this:

"Inside CAudioMixerBase Sandeep
    nIndex = 0 break ----- Sandeep"

about a zillion times.  Is this potentially a virus, or is it some sort of log file run amuck?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:39 PM

Answers

• I think I have narrowed it down to my Polycom communicator.  It's one of those two way (microphone/speaker), sound canceling things for use with Skype.  I changed the "amixer.txt" file to read only and immediately got a "Microsoft Visual C++ debug assertion failed" error which identified Polycom as the culprit.  So, yeah, not a virus, but something messed up.  I wrote to Polycom.  Thanks.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:50 AM

All replies

• Sounds like an Audio Mixer log file to me, though the only one I could find seemed to be for linux, not Windows.

I'd look for something in the Start Menu or Add/Remove Programs called AMixer or alsaMixer or similar. If that's all that's in the file, it really doesn't sound malicious to me, just talkative.

OneCareBear

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:10 AM
  • I think I have narrowed it down to my Polycom communicator.  It's one of those two way (microphone/speaker), sound canceling things for use with Skype.  I changed the "amixer.txt" file to read only and immediately got a "Microsoft Visual C++ debug assertion failed" error which identified Polycom as the culprit.  So, yeah, not a virus, but something messed up.  I wrote to Polycom.  Thanks.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:50 AM