Cannot load SATA driver.. RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to load the RC1 version to my Dell XPS system with dual SATA drives on a Promise FastTrack S150 TX2Plus controller. The controller is not initally recognized by the GUI install, so I load the driver as requested (I downloded the latest Windows Server 2003 driver from the Promise web site). The drives are recognized, and I proceed down the install. On the reboot into the blue setup screen, I get an error that says the fasttx2k.sys driver cannot be loaded, error code is 14.

Here is what I have done so far to troubleshoot this install:

1. Verified the CRC on the DVD ISO

2. Re-imaged the DVD using Nero on the slowest setting for my drive, with full verify on

3. Attempted to hit F6 on the blue setup screen to load a thrid party driver, but it isnt registering (curiously, I can hit F2 to get to the ASR screen)

4. I attempted a reinstall using the same Promise driver

5. I attempted to install using an older version of the driver (suggested by someone in an different thread)

5. I upgraded the BIOS on the Promise controller to the latest version, and then attempted re-install with same promise driver

6. Attempted to install using the Promise XP driver rather then the Windows Server 2003 driver

Other then getting an IDE drive and attempting to install on that, and then reconnect the SATA drives, any suggestions on what to do next?

Any help is appreciated!

Darin

Friday, June 15, 2007 9:37 PM

All replies

• Darin, are you relying on the driver you load near the beginning of setup to carry through to text mode (the "blue screen") or are you loading a driver again? I've been loading the driver explicitly both at the beginning, and at the "Press F6" prompt at the start of text mode, and it always works fine.

Also, are you sure that A) you can boot from your card (i.e. it supports booting from a connected drive) and B) your BIOS supports booting from a device not connected to the motherboard?
    Friday, June 15, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Ken, Thanks for the response..

For some reason, F6 wont work for me in the blue setup screen.. it does not accept the input.. it will accept F2 (the ASR screen) which is displayed right after F6.. weird. I have seen several other posts where folks mention not being able to use the F6 key, but no response about why it doesnt work is in any of them :-(

As for the boot issues, I just installed Vista on this computer, and also Windows Server 2003 in the past, and had no issues.  As for B, I am not sure what you mean "not connected to a motherboard" do you mean the card in a PCI slot? If so, yes it does support it, as I said, been using this as a test for server installs for a while now, no issues..

I am right now trying to break the relationship between the drives, and using only one of the sata drives to install... fingers are crossed :-)

Thanks again for your response!

Friday, June 15, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Well just tried with the single drive and that didnt work... off to buy an IDE drive tomorrow...

Darin

Saturday, June 16, 2007 1:28 AM