SATA vs PATA RRS feed

• Question

• I want to make sure that I build the best server possible, as I really do not have a lot of time to be shuffling data aroung.  My storage is small right now, but I have been refraining from adding a bunch of stuff to it.  I had a linux server and have the hardware left over from that.  I have 4x250GB, 1x400 and 1x500 PATA 100 hard drives.  I currently have about 400GB on the server.  I also have a couple of 250GB SATA drives.  Would I be better off going with SATA?  What about just using SATA for the primary drive?  I have five clients running Vista (plus a laptop occasionally connected).  Three of the clients are dedicated Media Center PCs used for movies, recorded TV, music and photos.  At most two would be streaming media at any given time (the third is in the Bedroom and we do not spend much awake time there anymore).  One problem that I have is that the case I have has removable drive trays from Crucial.  If I go SATA, I would need to buy trays in addition to some drives.
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 7:15 PM

All replies

• Well depending on how old your PATA drives are you may gain some or not much at all.  As higher density platter are created, that determines how much data it can transfer whether it be burst or sustained.  I would say though the biggest gain you could see would require SATA2.  Specifically the addition of NCQ. With multitasking, NCQ it will give you the most gain in a server environment.  However if your drives do not support it, you will see little gain.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 5:18 AM
  • I was running beta 2 on an older Dell Precision with 2 80GB and 1 120 internal IDE drives and an external 250GB USB2 drive.  Since I was going to have to erase everything for the RC build, I decide it was better to replace the 5 year old 80GB drives to get some better reliability.  I went with 2x500 SATA2 drives and a new Promise SATA controller.  Works great and now have a 1.25 TB server!!  Cost was about $300 but piece of mind is priceless.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 1:37 PM