Configurable backup options RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if others have mentioned this but WHS seems to like waiting until the weeeeee hours of the morning to perform it's backup. Perhaps a setting for an amount of idle time prior to backing up, this way instead of leaving computers on overnight they can simply be left on for an hour or so which is plenty considering they have all had the 1st major backup.

Let me know if I need to go into more detail...

Sunday, March 18, 2007 11:17 PM

All replies

• I agree.  I was wondering if advanced backup options are available, such as: when client is idle, specific time.  The backups slow my client PCs down like no ones business and its a real pain when I am using them.  A Wake-On-LAN feature would be super.  Then WHS could wake up the machine, back it up, then the client could go back to sleep.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:32 AM
  • I think a wake on lan solution would be brilliant, specifically to wake the computers up at say, 6, perform backups etc, which should take an hour at most (if done incrementally) and then be ready for use as soon as you want, ie 7am.

That and it would be good to set a different time for the server to perform maintenance than the time it does the backups.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 12:55 AM
  • Easy setup option to change alert times, as needed for advance user but keep the default for plug and play users.

Monday, March 19, 2007 7:04 PM
  • The WHS connector (not the tray icon; this is a component that starts with Windows) on your client PCs is the component responsible for running backups. That component is capable of waking your PC from a reduced power state (standby, hibernation) to run a backup, so you could put your home PCs in standby or hibernate them. Assuming you have power options properly set, your PC will, at some point after the backup completes, drop back into a reduced power state.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Regarding Wake on Lan, I would assume that Microsoft chose not to implement WoL because it requires specific support from the motherboard and NIC, support which isn't always present. It also requires a properly configured BIOS.

As for backup strategy, there's a post by Charlie Kindel over in the FAQs forum which explains how backups work. They don't use a traditional full/differential/incremental strategy; instead they leverage Single Instance Storage to give the same effect as a full backup, but with dramatically smaller storage requirements than even a traditional strategy.
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:02 PM