none
This site need a lot improvement

General discussion

• This site needs a lot of thing to be done first of all i dont like the desingn . There are not many features in user profiles

No facebook integration

Too many boards looks messy

cant you install smf or phpbb or ip.board

Sunday, July 4, 2010 3:31 PM

All replies

• Wow 1000+ views not a single reply
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:40 AM
  • 2000+ views no comment
    Friday, August 27, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Something needs to be done i mean this is microsoft forums site . and it looks very less like a forum . a forum has peronal message ,proper profile filelds,profile comments etc
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:12 AM
  • another record 3000+ views

Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:22 AM
  • I agree with you, but I also know that you are not using all features.

Set in your profile the view to threaded view.

That would help those who answer a lot, now we see all your replies everywhere showing up in the threads where you are active.

Thanks

(And don't use IE8, it seems not to be tested with that one, with that one the forums go terrible)

Success
    Cor
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 11:53 AM
  • I agree with you, but I also know that you are not using all features.

Set in your profile the view to threaded view.

That would help those who answer a lot, now we see all your replies everywhere showing up in the threads where you are active.

Thanks

(And don't use IE8, it seems not to be tested with that one, with that one the forums go terrible)

Success
    Cor

Is there a a forum strategy somewhere someone prepared for the forums.?

Hassan El-Meligy, Cairo
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with you in some points. The forum profile issue you stated is really nice. And of course here the profile is not good.

But I think here the forum members and the developers has a main concern of how the experience. knowledge and the help are shared among the members rather than this profile issues. I think we can state the MSDN forums as the Largest Technical forum (If I'm wrong correct me)

And the suggestions and the concerns have to be listened but they cannot be implemented quickly. Because it's not a single man's world. :(

I agree they have to somehow change the forum and alerts.

Profile can be changed in way to accommodate more details about the user, since this will help others to get the personal links as well.

In the alerts when the user is online they can alert him using a balloon pop in the corner of the page, whenever there's a response to a post related to him.

Regards Thurupathan My blog : http://thurupathan.spaces.live.com
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:43 PM
  • And one thing I forgot to point out Saurabhorange, You just complained but lack of suggestions right ?

Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:45 PM
  • No i have suggestions have a look at ip.board software that is what is called a nice forum software

Here are my few suggestions

1. Profile rating system and karma

2. Proper templates

3. Not to have too many forums in index page it becomes messy.

4. To have pm system (very important in forums)

5. Have a ban system

Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:07 AM
  • it will be nice if an online chat for all members in included so that doubts are clear my faster
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:07 AM
  • Nice to see some suggestions dude :)

The profile rating is good but I don't think it is an essential ( I don't know whether you agree with me). The profile rating encourage the members, that is true. Here the points are also given for the same reason.

Here we have bunch of MVPs in the forums. So it is better to rate them separately.

The PM is good and I agree with that.

I don't understand what you mean by proper forum templates. And you mentioned too many forums; actually as I stated in my previous post MSDN is a huge community which have forums for all most all the MS products. (They recently removed the Microsoft Forums from the MSDN) But still we have huge set of forums.

As you mentioned the Forums home page has many forums but you can customize that by adding them in your own 'My Forums' list. I don't know whether you are aware of this feature.

Having a ban system also there, The members with special privileges who are known as forum Moderators have the privilege to add, edit , move and delete the posts and ban users.

There are bunch of moderators you can see in the forums.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 11:27 AM
  • what about facebook stlye notification when someone replies to our topic or some message which pops out and alerts us .

Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:48 PM
  • @Saurabhorange,

For persons like you it makes no sense to make improvements. 

You never read what is written.

Success
    Cor
    Monday, September 13, 2010 7:21 AM
  • @cor yeah right i was jsut saying frankly i mean though some of the features are there but the forums should be more user friendly.

Monday, September 13, 2010 9:15 AM
  • There is 1 more thing i forgot to say when there are more than 10 posts in a thread there should be 2nd page for the thread which isnt here . the thread becomes messy to many posts in a single page also it takes time to load
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 10:30 AM
  • I love forums - but not this one. The forum software used here is by far, the worst out there. It is no surprise NG users don't like it and it is no wonder regular forum users don't like it either. It strengthens the NG proponent's misconceptions and beliefs that forums are no good. Very bad planning. Microsoft should have either used one of the established forum software products (Ip Board, vBulletin, etc) or polled regular forum MVPs and taken the best features of the popular forums and put them into this forum. Instead, it seems they took the worst features and now, no one is happy. What a shame.

The site is hard to navigate. There is no preview feature. Alerts for new topics and replies are a joke. The search feature is rudimentary, at best. You cannot insert images or URLs. Oh yeah, and adding a signature is a real pain.

Microsoft blew this one.

Bill (AFE7Ret), MVP Windows Desktop Experience - Engineering, https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Bill.Bright
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Cant all mvp's meet up and organise an poll in which all members are allowed to vote what they whant to see new in forums (ie features)

Though this is not so important forum (this) has all basic features like posting etc but it lacks pm and other few features

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:04 AM
  • I just signed in to this forum to find some answers. After lading to the home page my head is already spinning!

Too many topics on the home page to go through - here is the list of popular forum from wikipedia none of them has similar design as this forum.

However - as long as the search functions work I am happy :)

Monday, September 27, 2010 2:47 PM
  • welcome to forums by the way and here you have to select your favourite forums and login so that it dosnt become messy :)
    Monday, September 27, 2010 2:55 PM
  • I agree with you Saurabhorange. i also think we should be able to add more site to our profiles like some of the other forums out there. This forums could also use more features too.
    • Edited by DaMan92 Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:48 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:17 PM
  • I would like to add just a little comment on the issue of improving the forum.

The objectives of this forum is to exchange technical information and help others in solving their problems.

I hope it will not turn to another FACEBOOK.

Some organization might be needed, but please keep it simple.

(When you try to have everything at the end you will have nothing)

Best Regards

Hassan El-Meligy, Cairo_
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:11 AM
  • I would like to add just a little comment on the issue of improving the forum.

The objectives of this forum is to exchange technical information and help others in solving their problems.

I hope it will not turn to another FACEBOOK.

Some organization might be needed, but please keep it simple.

(When you try to have everything at the end you will have nothing)

Best Regards

Hassan El-Meligy, Cairo_

Ya I want it to be simple, not too messy but new look and navigation will work.. :)

Devilslab - Your Guide to stay updated

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:37 PM
  • I would recommend simple css changes in the site and adding a feature which we have in most forums like when an message arrives a pm popubox appears in the screen . This not only alerts us very fast but is also vey nice

This can be seen in ip.board

and it seems this forum has less profile fields

Most forums usually have may profile fields

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:32 AM
  • If someone dosnt mind i bought webhosting yesterday i am very much interested in starting a new win32 guide site in which there will be the most useful win32 api.

I can host the site on joomla cms or wordpress or drupal or mambo or dreamweaver cs5 . Your wish

Friday, October 1, 2010 3:59 PM
  • Maybe they should create some kind of app where the user can change the design to there likings, if they so wish..
    Monday, October 4, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone. Many of the items identified in this thread are known asks through the years. The past year or so the team has mostly been focussed on infrastructure and bugs. We have not had a lot of time or resources to devote towards new feature development. Re: Alerts, last week we released an update to enable users to change their email alert destination, as well as infrastructure improvements to lower delivery error rates. Some of the other things we are considering doing in the future are below. I don't have an ETA for this but we are listening.

• Paging
    • Fixing Search (improving coverage and enabling more search options/filters)
    • An eventual API
    • More options enabling users to better communicate with each other
    • More proactive ways for bad users to be highlighted and dealt with
    • Redesigned home page to let users more easily find the forum they are looking for, showing less clutter and data
    • Revamp of the recongnition system
    • Someday we would like to expose an api, but no eta for any of that

Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, October 4, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Brent,

Thanks,

Can you also pay attention for a deeper threaded view, let say power users of the forums, like MVP's are used to the newsgroup way of showing threads. 

Although it is currently much better than in the beginning, would it be nice if it could be something deeper as it now goes completely wrong when the thread becomes something like 5 deep.

And an easy one, take a look at the description of forums, that should be easy, it seems that the description is in a way taken from the old newsgroups, but those were already wrong for many years.

For instance for the developer forums:

A program language is to create programs using a platform and user interfaces, and the nice thing from Microsoft developer tools is that it can be in a very broad way of those latest. 

However it seems for some, that as soon as the user interface or the platform is not anymore in the way like in 1995 it is not anymore a program language question but becomes a platform or user interface question. 

This gives a bunch of moving around through the forums because some moderators just follow those from 1995.

Success
    Cor
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:40 AM
  • if old issues are solved its all the better for all.
    walter shebib
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:14 AM
  • to see old problems solved is up lifting. nothing more to say on the subject there after. its up-lifting.
    walter shebib
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:17 AM
  • I am with all . IF old isssues are solved it is better . In fact we cant do all things in 1 go

It takes time . Mabe fix somethings slowly then think about future development

But if still anyone wants to see what is a professional phpbb forum see

www.rocketheme.com phpbb templates .

I dont know how they managed to make so professional template

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:47 AM
  • I wish we could add a few websites to our profiles. While i'm sitting here on forums my websites are slowly are not doing so well.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:46 PM
  • What websites do you own btw . And your idea is good but we can add websites to our profile infact many mvp's here have their own websites and own blogs.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Recently i noticed that they have changed the site favicon
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:20 PM
  •  
    Recently i noticed that they have changed the site favicon
    Where?   Assuming you made a typo earlier I don�??t see a favicon here:

; )
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:30 PM
  • I saw the favicon when i clicked on my thread that is saurabhorange threads page
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 9:23 AM
  • nice

car insurance quotes

This forum it's really helpfull for some people...specialy for proggramer...this will source of their problem for looking the answer or having new idea...!!

But I think to many separating topik here..so many new comers have a lot of question..abaut where they will starting... 
    Monday, November 15, 2010 5:43 AM
  • I amin India it is 31st here night . I hope microsoft will do some changes to msdn forums this year :)
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:50 PM
  • farout here yes i agree. i tried to log in part of program by mistake and it talked to me like i was a alien.
    walter shebib
    Friday, December 31, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Wow Now this thread has become very popular but i see no change in development
    Monday, April 4, 2011 5:04 PM
  • What I like most is the absolutely crappy active-x plugin called FTM or whatever. Downloading files from web site is so high tech that you really want to destroy the remaining user experience with this buggy piece of malware... Thank god that I don't have to visit here often.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:15 AM
  • Common Msdn staff Use Next generation standards

CASCADING STYLE SHEETS 3.0 AND HTML5 AND JQUERY AND I AM DAMN SURE THIS SITE WILL ROCK

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Update One seriosu Bug in msdn forums

Whenever we paste vb.net code and if that code exceeds the line , it starts appearing on the same line outside the box but it should be placed on next line (Some serious Javascript needed)

Checkout my recent thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/827121e1-d73b-4d73-887d-7c85ba0dd471

You will see this happening

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Finally after 1 damn year improvements are made i can see a hover box when i hover over user avatar and some green arrow (assuming it is some kind of positive feature) is also introduced

I have to say good work but way to go

Editor at Idealprogrammer ( A site with over 1300+ free hours of .net videos) www.idealprogrammer.com Admin at saurabhorange.com(Free webdesigning tutorials)
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:31 PM