WHS won't boot after installation of new hard drives if sata mode set to "enhanced" RRS feed

• Question

• My subject pretty much says it all. Before my WHS was running all IDE Drives (pretty much i stick all my old drives in it). It was running 3 IDE drives. I ordered 2 Seagate 1.5TB drives for it. After i tried to install them last night WHS wouldn't boot. I made sure to set my IDE drives up as the first 3 drives to boot off of and put the 2 new SATA drives last in the list. When i had the SATA Mode setup as enhanced my server would just lock up when it was trying to boot. So i set SATA Mode to compatability and it booted just fine. I thought maybe i had to install the intel chipset drivers so i went to intels site and downloaded the latest version and installed them. I then tried to boot again in enhanced mode and yet again it failed. Please note when it was failing to boot i hadn't even told WHS to use the drives yet. Does anyone know what gives? Why did i have trouble booting? Is there anyway to fix the problem? I'd like to use NCQ if possible. I Know its debatable how much it helps but i still like to enable it.

thanks,
    ncage
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:19 PM

All replies

• ncage said:

My subject pretty much says it all. Before my WHS was running all IDE Drives (pretty much i stick all my old drives in it). It was running 3 IDE drives. I ordered 2 Seagate 1.5TB drives for it. After i tried to install them last night WHS wouldn't boot. I made sure to set my IDE drives up as the first 3 drives to boot off of and put the 2 new SATA drives last in the list. When i had the SATA Mode setup as enhanced my server would just lock up when it was trying to boot.

Exactly when does it lock up?  What's on the screen at the time it locks up?  You might need to flash your SATA controller card to support 1.5 TB drives.  (I had to do the same last year when my SATA card didn't recognize 1.0 TB drives.)

ncage said:

So i set SATA Mode to compatability and it booted just fine. I thought maybe i had to install the intel chipset drivers so i went to intels site and downloaded the latest version and installed them. I then tried to boot again in enhanced mode and yet again it failed. Please note when it was failing to boot i hadn't even told WHS to use the drives yet. Does anyone know what gives? Why did i have trouble booting? Is there anyway to fix the problem? I'd like to use NCQ if possible. I Know its debatable how much it helps but i still like to enable it.

thanks,
    ncage

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:36 PM
  • It doesn't even really start booting. It locks up when its trying to find something to boot off of. Pretty much when it locks up i just see a list of my drives that the bios have just detected (it does detect the new sata 1.5TB drives just fine). My motherboard has the latest bios (10/2008 revision) and is only a few weeks old.

thanks,
    Ncage
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:50 PM
  • ncage said:

It doesn't even really start booting. It locks up when its trying to find something to boot off of. Pretty much when it locks up i just see a list of my drives that the bios have just detected (it does detect the new sata 1.5TB drives just fine). My motherboard has the latest bios (10/2008 revision) and is only a few weeks old.

thanks,
    Ncage

Mine was the same way.  The motherboard recognized it, but when it got to the controller card, it just sat there.  I still think you might need to flash your card, but you should check with the mobo manufacturer to see if that model mobo supports 1.5 TB drives.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:58 PM