Restoring/Recovery of one computer on another? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

My main computer got into problems and somehow, the BIOS is having trouble letting me boot the Windows Home Server recovery CD from the DVD drive.

I was wondering whether it is possible connect my HDD in my wife's computer and restore my computer on to my HDD in my wife's computer and then move that HDD back to my computer and boot from it.

I hope that makes sense,

Michael.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:10 AM

Answers

• Basically that should work. The only problem you may run into is that you will need one more drivers for your wifes computer to run the restore. If you also have that system backed up with WHS this should not be problematic. In that case you will find the drivers in a folder C:\Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore (or on any other volume that is backed up). If you need them you can simply copy them a USB flash drive. More detailed instructions for this in Home Computer Backup

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:42 AM

All replies

• Basically that should work. The only problem you may run into is that you will need one more drivers for your wifes computer to run the restore. If you also have that system backed up with WHS this should not be problematic. In that case you will find the drivers in a folder C:\Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore (or on any other volume that is backed up). If you need them you can simply copy them a USB flash drive. More detailed instructions for this in Home Computer Backup

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Thank you brubber!

Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:11 AM
  • You can also just connect the drive by USB or internally as a second drive and run Client Restore directly from the running machine (if it has the Connector installed).

%systemdrive%\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

This method is also useful to restore machines that do not have a CDROM drive.

-timotl

Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Thanks all,

I tried connecting the HDD in my wife's computer and booting with the restore CD. All went brilliantly until there was about 20% to go, then came a BSOD with the dreaded stop: 0x0000C1F5 error. Now that disk is corrupted and I can't even boot into my wife's computer normally with the disk attached.

I searched this forum and there seems to be a bug with the $TxfLog file and I need to use another operating system's setup disk to boot up and then format the HDD from that shell and start all over again (since the restore was not complete, I can't just delete the file). See: http://bsods.com/content/workaround-stop-0x0000c1f5-0xc1f5-c1f5-bsod-clfssys-kb946084 and http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2296088&SiteID=50 .

I think I will need to format the disk, install Vista Home Premium, Vista Ultimate Anytime Upgrade, motherboard and other hardware drivers, each application, configure them, manually restore data from Windows Home Server backups and then actually do some productive work.

...unless anyone's got a better idea?

Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:24 PM