none
Microsoft should provide a free Student OS RRS feed

• Question

• I would like all of you to give your reviews on it..
    I think that microsoft should provide a free OS for students, so that students can learn more about the computer and programming world..
    The OS can have limited resources which is sufficient for any students...
    There can be different OS for different people
    Like a OS for a School Student to help him in studies..
    OS for a programmer which helps him in programming..

Like it Microsoft should provide a free OS

What do you say, please contribute by giving your views on it.. If more people will accept it, than i think it will come in the eyes of Microsoft from this forums...
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:36 PM

Answers

• I'm with you Varun. But the main issue is that how can they decide who is the student. They need to identify students and make mechanisms through which only students can run student OS, if released by MS.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:38 PM
  • But microsoft can have an OS with limited resources, ie lets say the OS which has only a internet explorer, a basic microsot office, This is enough for any student.. The OS can be restricted in such a way that no other tools can be installed.. this way the OS is useful for only a student and not anyone else.. so there is no fear of manipulation...
    The best part, dont allow the networking in the OS, so no corporates can use it.. let it be only for a single pc...
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:42 PM
  • But the main thing is that the corporates can still use them. They can use pen-drives for transferring data. This way, MS will become failure in providing student OS.

The idea that has just came in my mind is to authenticate student on Internet. The MS can distribute OS freely, but it can be used only after it has been registered. To use OS, login should be verified on MS servers, across internet, just like E-Mail sites. They can use even live.com services for this purpose.

What you say ???
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Well this is a better option, microsoft can go to schools and give the registratin codes to students, this way it will reach to a mass more appropriately, than the free cd can be availed, and then the student can get it registered..
    If they plan the OS specially for students, than there can be a lot of scope for improvements or modifications.. The whole OS can be customized for study purpose.. wat say??
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Thanks for being in support of my idea.

Now if all this becomes feasible, in some way, then MS needs to educate students for its softwares and services, so that they can get good feed-back. The best way to do that is to organize seminars frequently for the masses and that way, the students will gradually understand the MS products and softwares.

What you say ???
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Of course, there is a lot more scope opened up if they follow this idea..
    Its like taking the Student rockstar Quiz Theme to a new level, It can be integrated into the OS itself..
    Wat say??
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:05 PM
  • hi everbody,  ok talking wrt free OS for students which has limited facility has no scope in the market.

since no one prefers to use limited resource,moreover its efficieny is reduced since we'll be not able to do all our work like creating a flash s/w, or LAN gamming etc.

It is best adviced to prefer the full fledged OS with different option to explore its contents and capabilities to the core..!!!

As far as school children are concerned they can be give the basic worshop to use the operating system and its resource.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Well buddy you are talking about the current situation only.. what we are talking about is different, The current windows XP is of 7000 Rs, and Vista home is of 15000 RS..
    Now you get a latest configuration Assembled PC for around 21000 Rs..
    So just think the cost of the OS?? Its not affordable by everyone.. And if there is a special customized windows for students which is infact free, it is more than just acceptable in the market... It opens up a new dimension for expanding... I have seen that most of the computers at home are bought for the young children to help them in studies... so you dont need a lan gaming or creating a flash s/w for a 12 yr child.. Instead the OS can be customized such that it has only required facilities for a school boy.. Parents can even have restricted gaming on the pc... How does this sound??

Also i suggested different customized OS, just like in Linux that you get, We can even have a developers OS for Enginering or MCA students, with the compilers pre installed.. how does this sound???
    Monday, April 2, 2007 3:49 AM
  • Come on people, no view points at all?? only 2 people responded...
    Looks like no one wants a free Windows, everyone is happy paying for it, when we can get a certified genuine free one???
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 5:20 PM
  • Great discussion between you two people..  suprise to see so much amount of discussion....  Keep going on

My best wishes.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 10:52 AM
  • Give me your reviews on it... People have stopped discussion about it, I can not discuss alone, I need some help in that...
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 3:55 PM
  • well buddy,you alone having a discussion..???

in that case lets start a debate between us,ill go against the topic since i have already began

i suggest providing a free os for student is not a good idea,since major software piracy happens among student community,(may be this is one of the reason) mostly whats the use of having limited os when a fully loaded os in available in market(especially pirated one for rs~100)  more over linux was to supposed to be use for students,but GUI os windows made MS OS popular,

so for the purpose of student let them go for linux ,which an be programmed by students and will be great..!!!

expecting more from you guys...!!!

Sunday, April 8, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Thankz for discussing more on it...
    Well so lets start the debate...
    First of all, if there will be a free version available than there wont be any piracy problem... Have you ever heard of pirated linux???
    Now, we all prefer ms over linux because of the GUI of MS...
    Even microsoft is aware of the piracy, but they have found out the way to tackle it... Still it persists.. So why not have a free OS for students??

As the requirements of the students are totally different from Corporates, its very very limited.. From the fully loaded OS, just tell me what do we use??
    Media player, Internet explorer, Office... Thatz it.. nothing more..

Where as the corporate requirements are very high.. thatz y they are bundelled with so many things.. But we can have limited version for students.. its a step to cru piracy and go for freedom for both students and Companies like MS...
    Wat do u say??
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 6:07 PM

All replies

• I'm with you Varun. But the main issue is that how can they decide who is the student. They need to identify students and make mechanisms through which only students can run student OS, if released by MS.
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:38 PM
  • But microsoft can have an OS with limited resources, ie lets say the OS which has only a internet explorer, a basic microsot office, This is enough for any student.. The OS can be restricted in such a way that no other tools can be installed.. this way the OS is useful for only a student and not anyone else.. so there is no fear of manipulation...
    The best part, dont allow the networking in the OS, so no corporates can use it.. let it be only for a single pc...
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:42 PM
  • But the main thing is that the corporates can still use them. They can use pen-drives for transferring data. This way, MS will become failure in providing student OS.

The idea that has just came in my mind is to authenticate student on Internet. The MS can distribute OS freely, but it can be used only after it has been registered. To use OS, login should be verified on MS servers, across internet, just like E-Mail sites. They can use even live.com services for this purpose.

What you say ???
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Well this is a better option, microsoft can go to schools and give the registratin codes to students, this way it will reach to a mass more appropriately, than the free cd can be availed, and then the student can get it registered..
    If they plan the OS specially for students, than there can be a lot of scope for improvements or modifications.. The whole OS can be customized for study purpose.. wat say??
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Thanks for being in support of my idea.

Now if all this becomes feasible, in some way, then MS needs to educate students for its softwares and services, so that they can get good feed-back. The best way to do that is to organize seminars frequently for the masses and that way, the students will gradually understand the MS products and softwares.

What you say ???
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Of course, there is a lot more scope opened up if they follow this idea..
    Its like taking the Student rockstar Quiz Theme to a new level, It can be integrated into the OS itself..
    Wat say??
    Sunday, April 1, 2007 6:05 PM
  • hi everbody,  ok talking wrt free OS for students which has limited facility has no scope in the market.

since no one prefers to use limited resource,moreover its efficieny is reduced since we'll be not able to do all our work like creating a flash s/w, or LAN gamming etc.

It is best adviced to prefer the full fledged OS with different option to explore its contents and capabilities to the core..!!!

As far as school children are concerned they can be give the basic worshop to use the operating system and its resource.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 7:20 PM
  • Well buddy you are talking about the current situation only.. what we are talking about is different, The current windows XP is of 7000 Rs, and Vista home is of 15000 RS..
    Now you get a latest configuration Assembled PC for around 21000 Rs..
    So just think the cost of the OS?? Its not affordable by everyone.. And if there is a special customized windows for students which is infact free, it is more than just acceptable in the market... It opens up a new dimension for expanding... I have seen that most of the computers at home are bought for the young children to help them in studies... so you dont need a lan gaming or creating a flash s/w for a 12 yr child.. Instead the OS can be customized such that it has only required facilities for a school boy.. Parents can even have restricted gaming on the pc... How does this sound??

Also i suggested different customized OS, just like in Linux that you get, We can even have a developers OS for Enginering or MCA students, with the compilers pre installed.. how does this sound???
    Monday, April 2, 2007 3:49 AM
  • Come on people, no view points at all?? only 2 people responded...
    Looks like no one wants a free Windows, everyone is happy paying for it, when we can get a certified genuine free one???
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 5:20 PM
  • Great discussion between you two people..  suprise to see so much amount of discussion....  Keep going on

My best wishes.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 10:52 AM
  • Give me your reviews on it... People have stopped discussion about it, I can not discuss alone, I need some help in that...
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 3:55 PM
  • well buddy,you alone having a discussion..???

in that case lets start a debate between us,ill go against the topic since i have already began

i suggest providing a free os for student is not a good idea,since major software piracy happens among student community,(may be this is one of the reason) mostly whats the use of having limited os when a fully loaded os in available in market(especially pirated one for rs~100)  more over linux was to supposed to be use for students,but GUI os windows made MS OS popular,

so for the purpose of student let them go for linux ,which an be programmed by students and will be great..!!!

expecting more from you guys...!!!

Sunday, April 8, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Thankz for discussing more on it...
    Well so lets start the debate...
    First of all, if there will be a free version available than there wont be any piracy problem... Have you ever heard of pirated linux???
    Now, we all prefer ms over linux because of the GUI of MS...
    Even microsoft is aware of the piracy, but they have found out the way to tackle it... Still it persists.. So why not have a free OS for students??

As the requirements of the students are totally different from Corporates, its very very limited.. From the fully loaded OS, just tell me what do we use??
    Media player, Internet explorer, Office... Thatz it.. nothing more..

Where as the corporate requirements are very high.. thatz y they are bundelled with so many things.. But we can have limited version for students.. its a step to cru piracy and go for freedom for both students and Companies like MS...
    Wat do u say??
    Sunday, April 8, 2007 6:07 PM