Office does not recognise Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows XP Home Edition but whem I try to enter the product key for Office or Excel etc it says that it is incorrect and please re-type and try again

I have tried the diagnostics which tells me that the program is genuine
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hello mystic23,

Computer manufacturers often install a trial version of Microsoft Office.  If you are getting a prompt to type in a Product Key when opening a Microsoft Office program, it is likely the trial period is over and you'll need to purchase a license (product key) for Microsoft Office.

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office. 

If your computer is supposed to come have a full version of Office, from the store, please contact the store for assistance in finding the key  

If you bought Office seperate from the computer, please see the box and/or documents that came with the Office. The product Key should be included there.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:47 PM

All replies

• Are you entering the 25-character product key for Microsoft Office?
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Yes, thats right
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:39 PM
  • Actually I am not sure, its a 25 digit product key stuck on the bottom of the laptop
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Hello mystic23,

Computer manufacturers often install a trial version of Microsoft Office.  If you are getting a prompt to type in a Product Key when opening a Microsoft Office program, it is likely the trial period is over and you'll need to purchase a license (product key) for Microsoft Office.

The product key affixed to your computer is for Windows (the operating system) and not for Microsoft Office. 

If your computer is supposed to come have a full version of Office, from the store, please contact the store for assistance in finding the key  

If you bought Office seperate from the computer, please see the box and/or documents that came with the Office. The product Key should be included there.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:47 PM