none
forum RSS feed RRS feed

• Question

• Is the RSS feed of an MSDN forum supposed to work? I tried to add http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/streaminsight/threads?outputAs=rss to Outlook 2010, but it says "Outlook cannot process the RSS content from ... The link may not point to a valid RSS source."

If I try to add the feed to the IE Feeds, it works the first time, but after that IE says "Internet Explorer is unable to update this feed."

MS StreamInsight Team

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Strange, I can add this in IE9 beta and outlook 2010 without errors. Is it possible to verify this on another client install of these apps? Maybe there is some machine specific issue?
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:06 PM
    Answerer
  • it works the first time, but after that IE says "Internet Explorer is unable to update this feed."

In IE9 the symptom is:

"This feed contains errors. Internet Explorer will try updating this feed again later."

I'll wait another day and see if that changes but try to remember to trace it first then.   ; )

To give me something to compare with the next time this is the first line:

‎Tuesday, ‎January ‎25, ‎2011, ‏‎12:17:08

BTW.   I'm posting via the forum web interface and by the Path: I see below I may be including more information from the excerpts than I thought.

I just checked the HTML too and am surprised by the verbosity.  I thought I was just pasting text.   <eg>

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Edit:  As soon as I posted that stuff was all stripped out.  I was left with a bunch of uncontrollable lines bracketed by various combinations of  span  and  div.   Trying to insert breaks to restore my formatting resulted only in nbsp being inserted instead.  So I have stripped all that out and replaced it with p and br.   Not helpful!

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Using a different machine (also on Outlook 2010), I could add the feed to Outlook, but it hasn't updated since then. Can you confirm that the forum feeds in Outlook are updating for you?

Roman

MS StreamInsight Team

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Yes, they are updating for me.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, January 31, 2011 6:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Seems to be an Outlook problem for me in general - I am now trying this: http://www.slickit.ca/2010/01/fixing-rss-feeds-in-outlook-2010-beta-2.html
    MS StreamInsight Team

Monday, January 31, 2011 6:50 PM