Can you automatically copy files from a client computer to Vail's dedicated shared drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to figure out how to automatically copy files, pictures in this case, from my computer to Vail's dedicated shared drive for pictures.  What I was hoping to do was to have my pictures from the My Picutures folder on my PC be automatically copied to the My Pictures folder on Vail located in "Y: Drive."  I have looked into sync center and it can't do it and I have looked into programs like Sync Toy with no use.  The reason I was wanting these files copied this way was to use the online remote access website in order to have access to files when my main computer is not powered on.  Is there something I'm overlooking? Thanks for your help!
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• You could use a tool like synctoy, robocopy, or richcopy to copy files to your server on a schedule. That's about it, I'm afraid.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:50 PM

All replies

• You could use a tool like synctoy, robocopy, or richcopy to copy files to your server on a schedule. That's about it, I'm afraid.
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 9:50 PM
  • I’d be careful with sync-toy or sync technologies, just because if a corruption happens, the corruption could be sync’d back to the source.  copy commands are usually better.  that combined with task scheduler is a killer combo...

Good luck!
       Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    "Ken Warren" wrote in message news:da2493e4-ac13-47c9-941c-7adb871ad455...
    You could use a tool like synctoy, robocopy, or richcopy to copy files to your server on a schedule. That's about it, I'm afraid.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Yea I had thought about wanting this too but the whole issue with corrupted files could make it where you do end up synching corrupt files and unable to recover ur originals I just remind myself to copy it to the server as I add new ones to my folder heh.
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:49 PM
  • You can use synctoy and other sync technologies in a "one way" configuration, which is what I do to sync my audio library to my production server, and my production server to my Vail server. Just don't set up a two way sync and your produciton data will be safe.

And I'll note that I've never had a case of data corruption on my production server. Not even pre-PP1, which indicates the luck of the Irish more than anything else, I'm sure. :)

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Do yall think that some kind of sync program should be automatically built into Vail?  It's like a manual vs. automatic transmission on cars; some people like the controls while others dont want to bother with it.  It could always be a feature to be turned on and off at the customer's will. 
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Do yall think that some kind of sync program should be automatically built into Vail?   

It is. :) Robocopy has been built into every version of Windows since Vista. What you want is something else: you want an interface in the console to let you copy from here to there. And that isn't something that I think belongs in the product; most people will use it three or four times, and that's it. Why develop a feature that will only be used a couple of times, by a relatively small subset of people? Especially when there are literally dozens of programs in the market that do a great job of copying stuff regularly from here to there, with a lot more features than such a feature would have if built into Windows Home Server.

And it's nothing like automatic vs. manual transmission in a car. :) You have a choice there, which you make at the time you buy the car. After that, you're stuck with your choice. But you're using whichever you chose every time you drive that car.

Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Maybe doing it the manual way is best.  I just thought about other client computers connected to the network and therefor would be connected to Vail.  One would not want everyone's files to be present on the website due to possible undesired content.  
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 6:49 PM
  • GoodSync by Siber Systems will copy/sync files between your PC and Vail.  It can be setup for automatic operation or you can manually run it.  I would suggest manual because of the corrupt file problem. 
    Tom
    Friday, June 4, 2010 2:30 PM